Men Cagers Wilt in California

The Harvard men's basketball team had an up-and-down Winter Break, defeating Merrimack at home, 102-75, December 20 but going on to lose a pair at the Metropolitan Life Classic held at the University of San Francisco December 22-23.

The 1-2 slate sunk Harvard's overall record to 4-6, with the cagers hosting Holy Cross tonight at Briggs Athletic Center. The Ivy League season starts up this weekend when Penn and Princeton invade Cambridge.

The two losses at USF extended Harvard's road losing streak over the past two seasons. The Crimson has not won a contest away from Briggs since the 1984-'85 season.

Against Merrimack, the high-powered Harvard offense finally topped the century mark for the first time this season (and the 19th time in Crimson basketball history).

Guard Kevin Collins and center Bill Mohler led the cagers with 14 points apiece, both season highs. Other Harvard players reaching double figures included Keith Webster (13 points), Kyle Dodson (12) and Arne Duncan (10).

Merrimack, a Division III school which had defeated Harvard last year at Briggs, 63-62, was never really in the game. Although the Warriors hung within eight points at the half (when Harvard led, 45-37), an early second-half Crimson spurt sealed the game.

The Crimson runaway spoiled a stunning performance by Merrimack freshman Darryl Sanders, who scored 41 points to set a Briggs record.

But Sanders couldn't withstand Harvard's second half onslaught alone. The final frame showcased a number of moments for the Crimson highlight film--including a surprising dunk by 6-ft., 4-in. Collins on a fast break; 6-ft., 10-in. Mal Hollensteiner's first collegiate points (on a short shot from the baseline); and a free throw by freshman Sean Duffy to put Harvard into triple digits.

Go West, Young Men

Harvard's luck took a turn for the worse when it journeyed west for the USF Invitational. The Crimson dropped its opening-round contest December 22 to the host Dons, 86-65.

The game marked the first time this year that Harvard failed to reach the 75-point mark.

Things looked better in Harvard's consolation match the following day as the Crimson jumped to a 45-41 halftime lead over the Fordham Rams. But Fordham rallied for an 87-82 victory.

Forward Dodson led the Crimson with 16 points against the Rams, while Webster added 14 and center David Lang pitched in 10. Greg Pedro paced Fordham with 18 points.