Re: Reardon

MAIL:

To the Editors of The Crimson:

In a halftime interview during the telecast of the Harvard-Cornell game, a Mr. Reardon of the Athletics Department asserted that the Ivy League is distinguished by the fact that it treats its athletes no differently than it treats its other students. The reinstatement of Greg Williams to the football team would seem to suggest otherwise. Mark Brazaitis's piece on the Greg Williams case argued that the prohibition of Williams's involvement in the football program was a punishment that in no way fit the crime. The football program is, by some perverse reason, one of the most thoroughly publicized facets of the college; Brazaitis himself is partly responsible for a notably extensive coverage of the program in your paper, and they certainly don't put the Glee Club, any of the college's academic activities on television According to Mr. Reardon, the football players are among those scholar-athletes who represent some of the best qualities of the University. Thus the logic, in this highly visible athletic activity more than in any other, of prohibiting Greg Williams' participation.

I could not more wholeheartedly agree with Kyra Armstrong's letter of October 13. The administration may have a policy against releasing statements justifying its disciplinary decision, and with evident reason. Yet in this case, in which the good faith of the University towards its Black members has been seriously impugned, there are compelling reasons for such a release. Stewart Gibson '87-88