Committee Votes to Nix Bork

pointed but we're pushing ahead." He conceded, "It's tough. There's no doubt about it."

The committee vote fell roughly along party lines, with Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania the only Republican to join eight Democrats in recommending rejection of Bork's nomination. The committee's five other Republicans were. on Bork's side.

The outcome had been expected. But Sen. Howell Heflin's decision was unknown until he voted, and his support was coveted by both sides.

"I must vote no," he said, adding that he was following the old adage, "When in doubt, don't."

Heflin's defection was particularly damaging to Bork's chances for confirmation, since White House officials were hoping to use a "yes" vote from the former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court to attract other conservative Southern Democrats to Bork's side.

But supporters praised Bork's intellect and integrity, and said he was the subject of unfair criticism.

"The nation will be ill-served if the Senate rejects this remarkable man," said Senate Republican Whip Alan Simpson of Wyoming.

Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah said, "If we politicize the judiciary of this country...we will lose one of the most valued liberties and freedoms."

Reagan was described as angry at the mounting opposition to Bork.

Senate Minority Leader Bob Dole of Kansas admitted after the White House meeting that "we are still short a few according to my count" of the 100-member Senate.

"I think he's angry about it," Dole said said of Reagan. "He feels personally bad about some of the Republicans, I must add, and some of the Democrats who have politicized this confirmation. I think he used the words that it has taken a lot of the dignity away from the entire process."

Dole added. "We haven't given up."