Doonesbury, Bloom Cnty. Win Crimson Comic Poll

They may not measure up to the best works of Dante, but for Harvard students, at least, reading Doonesbury and Bloom County beats Life in Hell.

At least the two beat out the wacky new comic strip, which tells the ongoing and offbeat saga of three rabbits, one of whom is missing an ear, and perennials Peanuts, Calvin and Hobbes and Garfield in last week's first annual Crimson comic strip poll.

Doonesbury scribe Garry Trudeau and Bloom County maestro Berke Breathed could not be reached for comment. The two artists and satirists also are the recipients of journalism's second-highest honor, the Pulitzer Prize.

"Readers among the student body apparently were satisfied with The Crimson comic page as it was," said Crimson President Jessica A. Dorman '88. "Maybe Allan Bloom is right."

Allan Bloom could not be reached for comment on this issue yesterday, either. It is widely believed that he does not read comic strips, although he is said to be familiar with the work of both Calvin and Hobbes.

"I was kinda hoping Apartment 3G or Mary Worth would win," said Crimson executive Jeffrey J. Wise '88. "We certainly voted for them enough!" added his close personal friend Rutger Fury.

And the Winner Is...

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, the final vote was: Bloom County, 247; Doonesbury, 244; Calvin and Hobbes, 182; Life in Hell, 155; Peanuts, 109; Garfield, 90.

Lee Salem, Doonesbury's editor, says that they are pleased with the results, but adds, "given the environment there, we are not surprised."

Doonesbury has been appearing in The Crimson since 1975. Bloom County is in its third year on page four of Cambridge's only breakfast-table daily, the only source of humor emanating from the Plympton St./Arrow St. area.