Gephardt Blasts Persian Gulf Policy

Candidate Also Counsels Nation to Move On After Biden, Hart

WALTHAM--Democratic presidential candidate Richard Gephardt (D-Mo.) yesterday attacked the administration's Persian Gulf reflagging policies in a major local address.

In a wide-ranging speech at Brandeis University, the six-term Congressman blasted the nation's current Middle Eastern policy, which has sent U.S. warships into the wartorn region to protect international shipping lanes. "If I am [elected] president, I am not going to send our troops to the Persian Gulf when we are buying oil from the country that threatens us."

While Gephardt said he advocates a "strong defense," he called for cuts in Pentagon spending which he said is excessive. "Are we safer [now] than we were two trillion dollars ago?" said Gephardt.

Commenting on the recent problems within the now-defunct Hart and Biden campaigns, the Missouri Democrat said "I think we ought to move on and talk about the issues in this campaign."

After his address, which lasted about 20 minutes, the presidential candidate answered questions from a pre-selected panel of Brandeis faculty as well as the national media.

When questioned about his trade policies, Gephardt responded, "I am not a protectionist, I am a promotionist. I want every country in this world to open their markets to us as we have to them." Gephardt has been criticized by free trade advocates for his insistence on protection of domestic markets.

Brandeis students accused the candidate in the question and answer session of changing positions on the issue of legalized abortion.

Gephardt acknowledged that he voted against a pro-abortion House ammendment several years ago and has since adopted a pro-choice stance, but defended his position saying that "changing minds are things that public minds do and ought to do, if they are merited by the facts."

The candidate also defended his record on homosexual rights, saying that he would advocate increased enforcement of existing civil rights laws. "We must stop discrimination in our country in any form," he said.

As for his chances of gaining the Democratic nomination and winning the presidential election, Gephardt said, "I think we are all longshots."