NOW Convenes in Cambridge

Feminists Encourage Political and Economic Action

By Seth A. Gitell

State feminist leaders challenged women to fight poverty and to run for public office during the National Organization for Women's (NOW) annual convention held in Cambridge this weekend.

"Issues of economic and political power are central to NOW's agenda for women's equality" said Massachusetts NOW President Jennifer Jackman. "Without the feminization of power, we will never eliminate the feminization of poverty."

Part of this "feminization of power" includes "more concern with political strategy than in past years," said Massachusetts NOW Vice President of Action Helene Weitzenkorn. "We want to be everywhere," she added.

Woman officeholders, who had campaigned with grassroots and feminist support, encouraged other women to follow their lead.

"The conference encouraged women to repeatedly say to each other, 'I expect you to run for office,'" said NOW member Lorry Sorgman.

One of the main goals of an increased presence in politics, according to Jackman, is the elimination of poverty. "Poverty is the central problem that faces women in this nation and the world," Jackman said.

One method of eliminating the "feminization of poverty" is "to put in more support mechanisms that are important to women's survival--such as childcare and the pay equity initiative," said Jackman.

Another one of NOW's immediate goals is "to raise state welfare benefits up to the poverty level," said Weitzenkorn.

During the conference, NOW raised $1600 in one hour for the Massachusetts NOW Pac, WeitzenKorn said.

Participants said the convention increased their willingness to play an active role in politics, on all levels.

"People feel more in power now," Weitzenkorn said.

"It was fantastic," said Sorgman. "It was a success, in a sense of trying to meet the needs of the women's progressive community, both in support and context."