Skewed Scrutiny

Investing in South Africa

THE UNIVERSITY has begun following a policy that spotlights the serious shortcomings of its stance toward South Africa-related investments. The Corporation Committee on Shareholder Responsibility's recent annual report announces a plan to ask companies considering leaving South Africa to describe measures they will take to protect Black workers' rights after they pull out. The scrutiny, Harvard officials said, may lead to divestment from companies departing South Africa if those companies fail to make certain provisions to guarantee Black workers' rights.

This should be a praiseworthy response by the University to U.S. complicity in the brutalization of the South African majority. Had Harvard divested, this policy would have gone a step further in expressing concern for Black South Africans. Instead, since Harvard has divested of only a few of its holdings in South Africa-related concerns, the new policy sends businesses confusing signals about the correctness of the American presence in South Africa.

By taking measures against companies considering moving out of South Africa, Harvard will provide a disincentive for them to do the right thing: stop temporizing and get out. Harvard and other institutions should not--against the clearly stated wishes of those who lead the Black majority--use American dollars to preserve the economic system that props up the minority regime.

Because this new scrutiny is an element of Harvard's misguided policy of constructive engagment, it may actually dissuade companies from leaving. In light of the University's track record on South Africa, this new tack should be regarded with suspicion.

Recommended Articles

Harvard's Share in Apartheid
On July 16, 1977, Harvard University awarded an honorary degree to Albert Gordon '23, chairman of the board of directors
Abdication On South Africa
A LTHOUGH THE CORPORATION'S responsiveness to opinion in the University community remains dubious at best, tonight's Corporation open hearing on
Divestment No Answer
To the Editors of the Crimson: Hurray! We finally know how 3000 students (the majority view) acted on behalf of
Bok Outlines Harvard's S. African Efforts
In a lengthy open letter released today on Harvard's South Africa-related policies, President Derek C. Bok reaffirms his opposition to
State Sen. Committee Passes S. Africa Bill
A committee of the Massachusetts State Senate last week approved an amended version of the "selective purchase" bill, which would
Not a Simple Moral Equation
Marking the anniversary of Martin Luther King's assassinated Jepson Jackson will speak to Harvard students today at a rally protesting