Soccer's Karin Pinezich

A Song In Her Kick

By Karen Serieka

"Some guys play with their heads. That's O.K. You've got to be smart to be number one in any business. But, more important, you've got to play with your heart...If you're lucky enough to find a guy with a lot of heart, he's never going to come off of the field second."--Vince Lombardi

Athletics is like playing an instrument. Anyone can put the notes together in the correct order, but only a gifted few can truly make music.

Nothing you can put your finger on, it's an aura, a love of the game that certain special players radiate--players such as Karin Pinezich.

Co-Captain of the Harvard women's soccer team, Pinezich sparked her talented Crimson squad to a memorable 1987 season. The booters soared to an 8-2-3 overall record (3-1-2 Ivy League), and barely missed an NCAA Championship bid.

"Pin" (as she is known to friends and teammates) ended her season as the Crimson's leading scorer. The three-time All-Ivy midfielder finished with 13 total points, five goals and three assists, and should, once again, carry away post-season honors.

"The amazing thing about Pin is that she is at a higher level in every area that it takes to be a great soccer player," Coach Tim Wheaton says. "What makes her exceptional is that where most players stand out in one facet of the game, she is superior to the average player in attributes allaround: speed, skill, endurance, and knowledge of the game."

A valuable asset to Crimson soccer since her freshman season, the senior standout is valued for far more than sheer numbers in a squad deep with talent. As a leader and a captain, Wheaton calls Pinezich "very sensitive to the needs of others, while still keeping goals in mind. She's taken alot more responsibility on herself."

Though she admits that her position carried with it extra responsibility, Pinezich is quick to share the credit, pointing out that "it's not just me. It's all of the seniors. They all play an important part in the team, and there are so many to look to with six starters."

"I think that the younger players watch to see how we deal with situations--especially where this was a first--year adjustment for Tim and for us. You can't do things just because you feel like it--you feel responsible making sure that everything goes right," Pinezich continues.

As motivation spills over, so does laughter. "She's a lot of fun to have around too. It helps when a captain has a sense of humor like hers. It makes life a lot easier for everyone on the team, including me," Wheaton says.

The Cabot house resident first donned cleats for a second grade youth team coached by her mother, went on to play in the Long Island Jr. Soccer League, and later, shined for her state and high school teams. From there, her path was crossed with Ivy.

The recruit from Northport, N.Y. elected to accept Harvard's invitation because "everyone is really individual, and can pursue their own involvements because there are so many outlets. There's such a range of people all interested in different areas--everyone's doing something.

"Even within the crowd you hang out with, everyone is very different," Pinezich continues. "No one reminds you of someone else--no one is a copy of anyone else, or fits a stereotype."

Now that the anthropology concentrator is faced with the end of her college career, she looks forward to returning home to New York with a smile and an "I miss it." September will no longer bring two weeks of double sessions, but rather, a job in banking, business, or management.

As for soccer, "I'll play until I'm put in a position that calls for sacrifices I don't want to make anymore," Pinezich says. "I think I would coach on the side--not as a job, but youth teams."

"It's so sad," Pinezich says. "I think about the Princeton game and all of the fans and friends gathered around the field to watch, and then about all going to see the men's game in our uniforms, and looking around at everyone. I'll really miss that. Every year, you look back at the season and say, 'Well, we'll get it next year.' But this is it. There's no next season."

"It's so hard to put into words--what it means to you. The season is so short--that's the worst thing. You're always thinking, 'I can't wait' for this or that, and then, suddenly it's over. What other time do you have an opportunity to play such a level of soccer? It just won't happen anymore," Pinezich says.

A short season, but just the beginning for Karin Pinezich.