Student Severs Big Toe, Plans to Act on Crutches

By Melissa R. Hart

A Quincy House sophomore severed his toe before midnight yesterday, when he was building sets for a play.

Donald C. Carleton Jr. '90, the producer of Orphee, was building sets when he lost control of a circular saw and sliced off his right big toe.

"He cut off three-fourths of his toe," said director Mark Prascik '89. "I had to go back and pick up the end of the toe."

The University Police answered the emergency call and rushed Carleton to the Mass General Hospital emergency room.

"A good part of the toe was cut off, but he's going to be fine," said Ruth Stokes, an emergency room employee.

Hospital officials said they were not able to stitch on Carleton's toe. They said he will not suffer any serious damage.

Orphee, in which Carleton plays the lead, is slated to debut this weekend in Adams House. Carleton said the show will go on--he will act on crutches, according to Prascik.

"The last thing he said to me was `I hope the play can go up Friday,'" said Prascik. "He built the set single-handedly. "He's really gone through hell to make it perfect," he said.