New Hampshire Wildcats Scratch Icewomen, 10-0

More Depth, More Experience and More Moves...But No More Crimson Goals

By Kristin Olson

When the Harvard women's hockey team faced the talented University of New Hampshire last season, it played two entirely different contests than the 10-0 Wildcat blowout yesterday--in more ways than one.

Both games were low-scoring struggles. In the March ECAC semifinals the Crimson held New Hampshire to four goals, and managed to put one puck past the Wildcat goalie. In regular-season action, Harvard tallied twice against UNH, losing by a respectable 4-2 margin.

This season UNH has slipped somewhat, and Harvard's team is a veteran one. If anything, the final score last night should have been closer.

So what happened? Why did an experienced Crimson lineup get crushed by the Wildcats last night at Bright Center?

The Crimson lost only one graduating senior, Pam DiRubio, and can boast greater depth and experience this season. The chemistry between the lines has also improved with skaters who have a history of playing together.

Even UNH captain and goaltender Liz Tura thought her squad battled a stronger Crimson team tonight.

"Even though this year's score was higher," Tura said, "I think they gave us a better game."

Although the 10-0 score doesn't show it, Harvard put forth a strong effort--especially in the opening period.

"I think the first period is indicative of the kind of team we are," Co-Captain Johanna Neilson said.

A fired-up Harvard contingent finished the first period with a mere one-goal deficit. The icewomen stayed with the fast-skating Wildcats, demonstrated expert passing, and set up a good triangle formation on a Crimson power play 12 minutes into the game.

And junior Brita Lind's quick reflexes and heads-up play led to some promising opportunities during the first and second periods.

"It felt good to have a breakaway, but it was frustrating to have a stick around me while I was doing it," Lind said. "By the time I got to the goal, I was really tired."

Two factors contributing to Harvard's devastating 10-0 defeat were the untame Wildcat play and an exhausting opening schedule for the Crimson.

The Wildcats were big, fast, and physical against a Crimson team that likes to play a finesse game.

"When they use the body, it's hard," Lind said. "What can I do?"

UNH Coach Russ McCurdy attributed his team's powerful attack to its disappointing 5-4 overtime loss to Northeastern on Tuesday. The Wildcats were determined to reassert their prowess and took on Harvard with a vengeance.

Harvard was less prepared to combat the Wildcat ferocity. Two hard-earned Ivy league victories over Brown and Yale last week left the Crimson dragging.

"Every muscle in my body was sore tonight," said Neilson, expressing the sentiments of most of the team.

Playing a pair of easy games against the Boston College and Boston University club teams tow weeks ago had failed to prepare the Crimson for the Yale-Brown-UNH onslaught.

Another significant factor contributing to the blowout was the absence of Harvard's experienced right wing starter, Christine Burns.

"With Christine Burns hurt, both lines got messed up," Crimson Coach John Dooley said.

"Not having Burnsy makes a couple of goals' difference I think," Lind added.

But those two goals gave way to four goals, which gave way to six goals, which gave way to eight goals, which gave way to 10 goals...