Reagan, Gorbachev End Talks

WASHINGTON--President Reagan and Soviet leader Mikhail S. Gorbachev concluded three days of summit talks yesterday reporting progress but no agreement to curb long-range strategic weapons and no deal on the withdrawal of Soviet troops from Afghanistan.

As Gorbachev ended his first visit to the United States and headed towards East Berlin for talks with Warsaw Pact allies, Reagan addressed the nation from the Oval Office. He said they had made "dramatic movement" on arms control and vowing to press ahead with his Star Wars program.

Both leaders put a positive spin on a summit that produced no breakthroughs but Gorbachev also attacked the president's stand on nuclear testing and chemical weapons and took a hard line on Jewish emigration. But the two sides committed themselves to another summit, sometime in the first half of next year, in Moscow, and pronounced this one a success.

Reagan said, "this summit has lit the sky with hope for all people of good will," and Gorbachev said, "I think we trust each other more."'

In an apparent concession, a U.S. official said Gorbachev had dropped his insistence for restrictions on Star Wars testing as a condition for cuts in strategic arsenals. Gorbachev, at a marathon news conference, skirted the question that snagged the Iceland summit last year.

Asked if the summit had done anything to slow the arms race in space, Gorbachev said, "'I don't think so."

But he held out the hope they could sign atreaty in Moscow next year to reduce long rangenuclear weapons by half. The Soviet leader said,"Differences still exist and on some points thosedifferences are very serious indeed." However, "Wedo not regard them as insurmountable."

Reagan said the summit produced "some verylimited movement" on human rights and said he"spoke very candidly" to Gorbachev in urging aSoviet pullout from Afghanistan.

While saying they made progress towardreductions in strategic arms, Reagan said, "I madeit clear that our SDI program will continue andthat when we have a defense ready to deploy, wewill do so."

One U.S. official, insisting on anonymity inremarks to hundreds of reporters, said the UnitedStates preserved the right for broad testing ofthe Star Wars program, the official said, eventhough Congress has imposed some restrictions onthe missile defense system, which theadministration calls the strategic defenseinitiative.

In exchange, the United States agreed to adhereto the 1972 Anti-Ballistic Missile Treaty for aperiod of time yet to be negotiated, the officialsaid. However, the official said it would notconstrain the program.

Gorbachev acknowledged the ABM treaty permitsresearch and development and "if necessary, tests"authorized by the pact. He said there was progressin setting the individual categories of nuclearweapons each side would retain after cuts ofapproximately 50 percent in each side's arsenals.

An administration official said "it might bepossible with hard work" to have a strategic armspact ready for signing in Moscow, but said asummit meeting would be held nonetheless.

At his news conference, Gorbachev said thesuperpowers are emerging from "the long drawn-outconfrontation" of the past four decades.

Reporting progress on strategic arms talks,Gorbachev said "limits have been set" for thenumbers of missiles to be allowed under theproposed treaty to reduce strategic nuclearweapons to 6,000 on each side, a cut of about 50percent