OPEC Talks Stall as Iran Is Said to Be Dissenting

Oil Ministers Will Meet Today to Iron Out Oil Prices, Levels of Production

VIENNA, Austria--OPEC negotiations to clinch an oil price and production pact stalled yesterday amid conflicting signals about the outlook for a final accord.

A planned meeting of all 13 oil ministers was put off, and Algerian Oil Minister Belkacem Nabi said the ministers would meet today.

Gabon's oil minister, Etienne Guy Tchioba, said the cartel leaders might have to rework a tentative accord, reached Saturday, to retain the $18-a-barrel oil price and renew OPEC's existing set of national oil production quotas.

Analysts have said the agreement, if approved, would lead to an immediate decline in world oil prices of as much as $2 a barrel, translating to a drop of about 5 cents a gallon in retail prices of gasoline and heating oil in the United States.

Tchioba said that some delegations, which he did not identify, feared the prospective deal would be viewed negatively by oil traders and result in a new price decline.

"We realized that the [production level] ceiling was not credible for the market," he said.

But a conference source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said the only obstacle to ratifying the tentative agreement was a reluctance by Iranian authorities in Tehran to sanction the deal.

Iran had been insisting that the $18 price be increased by $2.70.

Iraq, locked in a 7-year-old war with Iran, is not expected to sign the agreement because it wants to raise its production quota to Iran's.

Tchioba said the deal was virtually set Saturday, but a debate broke out in the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries over how long the accord should last.

Some wanted the $18 price to hold throughout 1988, while others wanted to review it during the year, he said.

Analysts said the tentative deal's major weakness was that it was unlikely to halt overproduction by OPEC members such as Iraq and the United Arab Emirates.

Recommended Articles

Rising Oil Prices Bittersweet
The recent increase in gas prices has exposed the unsettling dependence of the U.S. economy on cheap petroleum. Although many
OPEC Director Says Price of Oil May Rise To Keep Pace With the High Inflation Rate
The members of the Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) will be forced to raise the price of crude oil
How Long Until Our Country Runs Out of Gas?
T HIS month OPEC members met with non-OPEC oil producing nations for the first time, determined to curb global oil
Unpleasant Unction
A FORMER TEXAS congressman embarked on a diplomatic mission to Saudia Arabia, claiming that the recent plunge in oil prices
Dangerously Naive'
To the Editors of The Crimson: Your March 20th editorial entitled "Common-sense Economics" is one of the shoddiest commentaries which
Heat for the Poor
T HIS WINTER, many poor Americans will not be able to afford one of the most basic of human needs: