A 360-Degree

Casey at the Bat

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

Late in the first half of last night's Harvard-Boston College matchup, Eagle guard Dana Barros was caught under the basket, in the air, with the ball, without many options.

But Barros had one option. And one was all he needed.

There's Barros, still hanging in the air. What will he do?

How about your basic 360?

Executing a 360 is not an easy task. You have to make a complete spin in the air, and shoot the ball before hitting the ground. Not many of us mortals can do it, much less make it.

"I tried one once before in high school," Crimson guard Tom Morrison said. "I was on the bench three seconds later."

Of course, Barros may not be mortal.

"That's an everyday thing for him," B.C. freshman Reggie Pruitt said. "We see him do it every day in practice."

Barros has always done things in practice to amaze his teammates, although he usually saves his best for games.

As a high school senior at Xaverian High School in Mattapan, Barros averaged 39.4points a game. He was named Big East freshman ofthe year two years ago, and led B.C. in scoringlast year, averaging over 18 points a game.

Last night, he spearheaded the Eagles' 121-80blasting of the Crimson. He scored 26 points on10-of-12 shooting in only 28 minutes. One of hisonly two misfires was a three pointer.

Others have scored more. Harvard players havescored more. But few have done it with thespectacular flair that Barros displayed lastnight, twisting, pumping, driving through theHarvard defense.

At first, Barros didn't look ready to turn in abig night. He had only three points in the firstfive minutes, as B.C. built a 24-4 lead.

But when Harvard rallied to outscore B.C.,14-1, in the next three minutes, cutting the leadto 25-18, Barros had to dust off his shootinghand.

"I wasn't really looking to take over," Barrossaid. "The shots were there, and I knew I wouldeither make it or get fouled."

Barros first scored five consecutive points,followed by nine points in the final 5:40 as B.C.ran off to a 60-42 halftime lead.

Barros was very good last night. But after all,Barros is a very good basketball player, probablythe best the Briggs fans will see all year.

Or next year. Or maybe forever.

"He's a great player, a great athlete, and agreat person," Harvard Coach Peter Roby said.

Barros wowed the crowd--both on the court andin the stands--many times last night.

"He was fantastic," Harvard fan Joey Stewartsaid. "We're talking the next Dr. J."

"I love his game," Harvard forward NeilPhillips said. "He's a scorer. I've got a lot ofrespect for him."

"He's a really great player," guard Tedd Everssaid. "He's really quick, and he knows how to geta guy off-balance."

Barros is not in awe of his own play. What didDana Barros think of Dana Barros's 360?

"I just did it," Barros said. "I wasn'tplanning on doing it. I knew if I missed, I wouldhave been on the bench.