Mystery Story

Men's Basketball

By Colin F. Boyle

Watching the 1987-'88 Harvard men's basketball team is a lot like reading a suspenseful murder novel. You know it will be exciting, but you're not quite sure how it will turn out.

No one seems to know how good, or how bad, the Crimson will be this year. Not Sherlock Holmes, and not even Harvard Coach Pete Roby.

Men's Basketball

1986-'87 Overall: 9-17

1986-'87 Ivy League: 4-10 (T-seventh)

Captains: Kyle Dodson, Mike Gielen, Bill Mohler

"This team is a mystery to me," the third-year coach said before the season. "I have no idea what to expect. That's neither negative or positive, that's just a fact."

The first two games of the season aren't a good indication of the team, either. Only a great detective could tell whether Harvard is the team that lost miserably, 105-60, to the St. John's Redmen in the season opener, or the team that bounced back for a come-from-behind 87-83 victory over Tennessee Tech the next afternoon.

The team's true identity is a mystery. Last season, the Crimson relied heavily on Co-Captains Arne Duncan and Keith Webster--both career 1000-point scorers--for offense and leadership. Now Duncan and Webster are gone, and new leaders must emerge for Harvard to challenge for its first-ever Ivy title.

One thing is for certain, though. The team's full-court pressure defensive scheme and aptly nicknamed scoot-'n-shoot running game will make things exciting.

If it works--like it did against the Golden Eagles--the scampering Crimson defenders will cause a lot of turnovers, and make a lot of steals. If it doesn't--like it didn't against the Redmen--the Crimson will give up a lot of spectacular slam dunks.

Tri-Captain Mike Gielen appears to be the spark for the Crimson. The junior point guard missed the season opener against the Redmen, and without him the Crimson press was lackluster and the squad shot a miserable 29.5 percent.

When Gielen returned the next day, he was all over Tech point guard Anthony Avery, and forced eight turnovers. Offensively, Gielen scored 14 points, including three three-pointers, and handed out 10 assists.

"Mike gave us a spurt offensively," Roby said after his squad finished third at the St. John's tourney. "He's a shooting threat, so he takes some of the heat off of the other guys."

Gielen averaged 10.2 points-per-game last year, and led the Crimson in assists with 106. Gielen's tenacity on defense must also be contagious for the Crimson.

"I try to bring a sense of leadership to the game," Gielen says. If the Tri-Captain manages to convey his intensity on the court to his teammates, he may lead the Crimson to a winning season.

Assisting Gielen at the point are freshman Dana Smith and senior Tom Morrison. Smith is a gifted athlete, and Morrison, who played as a freshman for Harvard, but took a two-year layoff before returning, lends maturity to the squad.

At the off-guard position is freshman Ralph James, who appears to be a legend in themaking. Coming from basketball powerhouseArchbishop Molloy in New York, James is consideredby many to be the top freshman in the Ivy League.

Roby calls James "an impact player," and thefreshman certainly had an impact over the weekend.James scored 15 points against the Golden Eaglesto lead the squad, while making four steals.

Unfortunately, James also showed a tendency totry to force shots, and made a few freshmanmistakes--his two turnovers in the last twominutes nearly gave Tech the game. But Jamesredeemed himself by getting his own rebound andsinking a shot to clinch the Crimson win.

"If Ralph stays healthy and plays hard all thetime, and if he keeps a level head, which I'mconfident he'll do because he's a fantastic kid,then he has a chance to be as good as anyone who'splayed here," Roby says.

Helping James at shooting guard is sophomoreScott Gilly, whom Roby hopes will provide someextra offense. Also at the position are sophomoreBrian Mackey and freshman Ian Smith, Dana's twinbrother.

The small forward position is shared by twojuniors, Tedd Evers and Kevin Collins. Evers, whoaveraged 4.8 p.p.g. last year, is currentlystarting, although Collins, who averaged 4.5p.p.g. a year ago, should also see a lot ofminutes.

When Evers is hot--as he was against Tech,shooting three-for-four three-point range--he canshoot the lights out from anywhere. Collins is abetter rebounder and ball-handler, but his defenseis questioned. If the two can improve theirconsistency, they will contribute greatly to theattack.

Junior Neil Phillips, who played split-end forHarvard's Ivy football champions, will take awhile to round into full basketball form. Phillipsis a great athlete, and his scoring and defensewill be missed greatly by the cagers until he getsup to speed.

Tri-Captain Kyle Dodson, who starts at thepower forward slot, is expected to provideadditional offense and rebounding for the squad. Apleasant surprise for the Crimson last season,Dodson scored 9.4 p.p.g. and grabbed 3.0 r.p.g.Dodson netted 15 against Tech on Sunday andappears ready to shoulder more of the scoringburden.

Lending depth under the boards is junior DavidLang, who scored 5.5 p.p.g. last year. Roby saidhe hopes Lang will be able to pull down a fewextra rebounds this year. Also looking to see moreaction are sophomores Sean Duffy and BrianEhrlich, both of whom can score.

At the pivot, senior Tri-Captain Bill Mohlerwill return as the starter, though he should bepushed by 6-ft., 10-in. sophomore MalHollensteiner. Hollensteiner showed flashes ofbrilliance last weekend, and if he develops hecould give Harvard a true big man in a leaguewhere nearly every team is just one big man awayfrom the title.

On paper, this Crimson squad looks like itcould be the first to be competitive in the IvyLeague in Roby's tenure in Cambridge.

Whether that potential will pan out, however,is anybody's guess