Perspective

Women's Basketball

By Jennifer M. Frey

Two seasons ago, the Harvard women's basketball team shocked the Ivy League by climbing from a last-place 1985 finish to the 1986 championship. It was the Harvard's first Ivy basketball title ever.

Last weekend, the Crimson came up with another surprise--its first-ever wins over Boston-area teams and a Boston Four Tournament crown. Harvard upset Boston University, 79-75, in overtime, and followed with a 73-67 triumph over defending champion Boston College.

Women's Basketball

1986-'87 Overall: 13-13

1986-'87 Ivy League: 8-6 (fourth)

Captains: Barb Keffer, Sharon Hayes, Beth Chandler

Somewhere in between--during a disappointing 1986-'87 season--the Crimson found itself missing that winning drive. The favorites for the Ivy title finished 13-13 overall, mired in the middle of the league standings.

According to Harvard Coach Kathy Delaney Smith, "That will not happen this year."

And she has good reasons to think so.

"We have some quickness, some height, lots of outside shooting and a good inside game," Delaney Smith said.

Junior Beth Chandler--out last year with a knee injury--has returned to the frontcourt to lend strength to Harvard's inside game. Chandler took MVP honors in last weekend's tourney.

"I really have a lot of confidence with our inside game," Delaney Smith said. "It compliments our outside game."

The Crimson's outstanding outside shooting has been given a boost by the new three-point rule. Senior point guard Barb Keffer was shooting from 20 feet out last season. This year it counts for three.

"I couldn't be happier about that three-point rule," Delaney Smith said. "We have two outstanding outside shooters in Sarah [Duncan] and Barb. Heidi [Kosh] is coming on, and Sharon Hayes has a range just one step in. That's five legitimate three-point shooters."

It was 70 percent three-point shooting that gave Harvard an edge over its Boston competitors last weekend. That, and the Crimson's superior physical condition.

Intense pre-season training put the Crimson one step ahead of B.C. and B.U. "We won this weekend because we were in better shape," Delaney Smith said."

Nine letterwinners, including the senior foursome of Hayes, Keffer, Mary Baldauf and Nancy Cibotti, return to give the Crimson a veteran flavor.

"This is my first senior team at Harvard," Delaney Smith said. "You can't coach a team what seniors give a team. It's an intangible factor."

But the experience and poise bring tangible results--greater consistency and tenacity in clutch moments.

"When you choke," Delaney Smith said, "you can either roll over and die or get tough. We got tough [against B.U. and B.C.]"

Harvard's not without its weaknesses--boxing out for the offensive rebounds will be a Crimson sore point. Harvard has height and strong blocking ability--especially in junior forward Duncan--but still struggles on the boards.

"We have to box out for the boards instead of getting pushed under, which happens to us," Delaney Smith said.

The Backcourt: Keffer returns as Harvard's fourth all-time leading scorer to direct the Crimson offense. The senior point guard is "an all-around player who can run the team," according to Delaney Smith.

The tri-captain averaged 11.4 points last season, and set Harvard season (128) and career (345) assist records.

Challenging Keffer for court time will be sophomore Kosh, who averaged 5.8 points and dished off 46 assists in an impressive rookie season. Freshman Beth Wambach has proven to be a welcome addition at point guard, scoring in key moments during the B.U. win.

Starting in the other guard position is senior Mary Baldauf, arguably the Crimson's fastest player. Baldauf put in quality performances as a reserve last season, and should be "an integral part of the fast break," Delaney Smith said.

Freshman Dina Hadrick and sophomore Valerie Allen--who moved up from the JV squad--round out the backcourt reserves.

The Frontcourt: Senior Hayes headlines the Harvard frontcourt as the Crimson's second all time leading scorer (955 points) and team point leader last season. The tri-captain was shy only 13 points of the 1000-point barrier heading into last night's contest at Smith.

"Sharon anticipates well, and is a tough, physical post player," Delaney Smith said.

Chandler is starting at center, and should provide what Harvard was lacking in the lane last season.

"[Chandler's] a very physical inside player," Delaney Smith said. "She's an entity in there."

Rounding out the starting front is Duncan, who developed into an outstanding offensive player last season.

A finesse player with an accurate outside shot,Duncan led the league in blocks last season.

"Sarah's added a nice drive to her repertoire,"Delaney Smith said. "And obviously, she a greatshot-blocker."

The Crimson has a great deal of depth up front,with Cibotti providing a much-needed defensivespark. The senior was second behind Duncan inrebounding last season, and blocked 18 shots.

Sophomores Melinda Nelson and Sandy Springerhave matured, and will join Chandler as powerplayers on Harvard's inside game. Nelson isHarvard's "strongest player physically," accordingto Delaney Smith, while Springer has developed adangerous jump hook.

Rounding out the Crimson reserves is a pair ofnewcomers to varsity action. Sophomore JohannaFink sat on the bench with an injury last season,but looks to be an aid on the offensive boardsthis year. Also contributing will be freshmanJennifer Mazanec, a defensive player with strongjumping ability and a good outside shot.SARAH DUNCAN (right)