Tracking a Path of Progress

Indoor Track

By Martha C. Abbruzzese

Both the Harvard men's and women's track and field teams are ready. They are ready to jump higher, throw farther, and run faster.

They have been practicing since September. Just about two months of jumping, two months of throwing and two months of logging many miles.

Indoor Track

1986-'87 Men: eighth place at Heps

1986-'87 Women: fifth place at Heps

Men's Captains: James Russell, Paul Mayer.

Women's Captains: Nancy Lutz, Katie Toner

With a new crop of freshmen eager and ready to impress, Coach Frank Haggerty looks forward to the upcoming season. Led by Co-Captains James Russell and Paul Mayer, the men's team, is "aiming at improvement" and hopes to "move back up" the ranks of collegiate track and field, Haggerty said.

"We are mainly a bunch of underclassmen, and we are definitely an improved team," Mayer said.

Despite the large crop of underclassmen, Haggerty will depend on the skills of All-America Russell in the throwing events.

"The throwers should be a focal point of productivity," Haggerty said.

Russell, with help from teammate Maurice Frilot--a starting offensive lineman for the Harvard football team--should cover that area well.

Haggerty looks to returning junior Chris Sullivan to fly high and dominate the high jump. Sullivan, who placed third in the outdoor Heptagonals last spring with a personal-best mark of 6-ft., 10 1/2-in., has a chance to win the indoor Heps this winter.

Hoping for some improvement in the pole vault, returning junior Bob Herbst will lead the team in that event. In the long jump, the Crimson will rely on newcomers for improvements.

The young talent will also lead the squad in the running events. Sophomore Gregory Agran, the top returning sprinter, and a host of freshmen will cover the sprints for the Harvard team.

The season will culminate with Heps in late February at Cornell. "It's hard to predict [what will happen at Heps]," Haggerty said. "It depends on the development of the freshmen."

The Women

In his six years of coaching the Crimson, Haggerty claims that this year's women's team "is the deepest team I've seen at Harvard." Led by captains Nancy Lutz and Katie Toner, Haggerty has his eyes on a Hep title which is well within reach for this team.

Returning for the Crimson is sophmore Meredith Rainey, the indoor and outdoor Hep champion in the 400 meters.

"There will be no one to beat her," Haggerty said of Rainey, the school record holder in this event.

Also adding to Harvard's strength in the running events are sophmore Beth Pfefferle and junior Jackie Ball, both competitors in the 800.

Distance runners Lise Vansen--the outdoor 10,000 Hep champion--Tina Lount, and Julie Grialou, the number one cross-country runner for Harvard will lead the Crimson in the 1500, and the 3000.

For the jumps Harvard will be relying on juniors Jennifer Dunne and Laura Blodgett and sophomore Manda Schossberger. Sophomore Patty Min will lead a group of freshmen in the hurdling events.

Finally, though they are thin in numbers, Haggerty expects a good season from the throwers. Veterans Jennifer St. Lewis and Colleen Collins will provide the strength in these events.