M. Cagers Set to Battle UNH

By Colin F. Boyle

They say that when a jockey falls off his horse, he should jump right back in the saddle. That way, he won't be afraid of riding in the future.

The same rule applies to basketball. When you lose big--like Harvard did to Boston College Tuesday night--you should get back on the court again as soon as you can.

After a rude, 121-80 dismounting by the Eagles, the Harvard men's basketball team will try to hop back in the saddle today against the University of New Hampshire in Durham, N.H.

The Crimson (1-2) has certainly picked the right opponent. UNH has an 0-3 record, and lost 92-59 Thursday to B.C.

"I'm optimistic that we'll bounce back," Harvard Coach Pete Roby said. "They lost some key players. I don't think they're as good as last year."

That bodes well for the cagers. Last year, UNH had a 5-24 record, and was pounded by the Crimson, 93-67, early in the season.

If Harvard comes back, it will mark the second time this season that the team has rebounded from a crushing loss. After losing by 45 points to St. John's in its season opener, the Crimson pulled itself together to beat Tennessee Tech, 87-83, the next day.

Inconsistency

Inconsistency has been one of the major problems for the cagers so far this season.

Tri-Captain point guard Mike Gielen leads Harvard with a 14 points-per-game scoring average and 14 assists. The junior also leads the Crimson in turnovers with 17.

Tri-Captain forward Kyle Dodson, who is averaging eight p.p.g., had only two points against the Eagles. Forward Tedd Evers and center Bill Mohler have been streaky offensively, while Mohler has fouled out of both Crimson defeats.

Under the boards, the Crimson have been outrebounded, 135-98. Sophomore center Mal Hollensteiner, the team's leading rebounder and third-leading scorer, should see a lot of time against UNH.

The Wildcats are led by guards Keith Carpenter and Derek Counts, both of whom are averaging 12 p.p.g. Forward David Marshall has scored 12.7 p.p.g. so far this year, while grabbing 8.7 rebounds per game.

On paper, Harvard has the better team, but its inconsistency could give UNH the game. "We have to come to play," Roby said. "The other things will take care of themselves."