Aquamen Fifth at Alabama

The Harvard men's varsity swimming team fell to the University of Iowa in the first round of the National Invitational held at the University of Alabama over the weekend. The Crimson rebounded to defeat the University of Kansas and the University of Arkansas to capture fifth place at the meet.

In its meet against Iowa, Harvard notched seven first place finishes. Scott Jaffey swam 1:39.50 in the 200 freestyle; Bill Bird 1:52.89 in the 200 butterfly; Keith Kaplan 46:47 in the 100 freestyle; Jeff Peltier 1:51.34 in the 200 backstroke; Jaffe 4:27.36 in the 500 freestyle; Al Wolf 2:05.36 in the 200 breastroke. The 800 freestyle relay team of Marc Shagena, Chris Smith, Bird and Jaffe also finished first with a time of 6:47.13.

Against the University of Kansas, the Crimson placed first in eight races. Winners were as follows: Jim Lutz in the 100 breaststroke; Ken Johnson in the 1000 freestyle; Jaffe in the 200 freestyle; Kaplan in the 50 freestyle; Lutz in the 200 breaststroke; and the 400 freestyle relay team of Kaplan, Shagena, Smith and Jaffey.

En route to its 69-45 decision over Arkansas, Harvard registered the following first-place finishes: John Pearson (1650 freestyle); Jaffey (200 freestyle); Peltier (200 backstroke); Johnson (500 freestyle); Pat Healy (three-meter diving); Jaffey (200 breastroke); the 400 freestyle team of Shagnes, Smith, Kaplan and Jaffey; and the 400 medley relay team of Peltier, Lutz, Bird and Kaplan.

In the 200 breastroke, Jaffey fell just short of qualifying for the NCAAs with a time of 2:02.72--0.23 seconds shy of the time needed.