Aquawomen Qualify Swimmers for NCAAs, Olympic Trials

By Joseph Kaufman

The Harvard women's swimming team introduced itself to the power-houses of the NCAA at the National Invitational Dual Meet Tournament at Tuscaloosa, Ala. this weekend.

But instead of being intimidated by the impressive opposition, the Crimson showed its rivals that it is an emerging national force, finishing third in a field of eight teams by dropping only one of three meets.

Harvard (now 4-1 overall, 1-0 Ivy League) defeated the University of Kansas Friday by a 86-54 margin, but fell Saturday in the tourney semifinal to the University of Arizona, 76-64. In yesterday's third-place meet, the Crimson soundly defeated Southern Methodist by a score of 88-52.

The highlight of the three-day meet, however, was the fast times of Harvard's top swimmers. Several school records fell, with two aquawomen qualifying for the NCAA Championships, held this March in Austin, Tex.

All of the record times were set in the first meet, against the Jayhawks, courtesy of sophomore Mia Costello and junior Linda Suhs. Costello broke both of her school records in the breaststroke events, originally set last season. In the 100-yd. breaststroke, Costello's time of 1:04.69 earned her a victory, as did her 2:19.58 mark in the 200 breaststroke. Both times qualified her for next summer's Olympic trials as well as the NCAAs.

Suhs took first place in the 50 freestyle, lowering the school record by over one-half second in the process. Suhs' time of 23.56 seconds earned her trips to NCAAs and Olympic Trials as well. Suhs also captured the 100 freestyle in the Kansas meet.

Junior Janice Sweetser also set a school record in the 200 freestyle. Her winning time of 1:51.65 dropped her previous mark by 0.2 seconds.

Junior Jenny Greene led the diving for Harvard, taking the gold on both one-and three-meter boards against the Jayhawks.

In the semifinal meet with Arizona, the Crimson had a chance to reach the tournament final with a victory in the final race, the 800 freestyle relay, but the Wildcats touched first in the event, giving them seven points and clinching a spot in the finals.

Costello again paced the Harvard bid, finishing on top in both the 100 and 200 breaststroke races. Sweetser grabbed the 200 freestyle for the second straight day, and Greene took both of the diving events in the losing effort.

Yesterday, the Crimson snagged third place decisively, never giving SMU a chance while cruising to a 36-point victory. Costello did not swim either breaststroke race, but freshman Heather McCann. filled in, earning first-place showings in both.

Suhs captured her second 50-yd. freestyle of the tourney, while Greene capped off a perfect weekend with two more wins on the diving boards. Greene finished unbeaten in diving competition, establishing a 6-0 record over three meets.

While fast swimming and NCAA qualifying were the primary goals of the Southern swing, the Crimson will have no time to look back on its laurels. Tomorrow night, Brown University journeys to Blodgett Pool for a 7 p.m. showdown that should decide the Ivy League title.

The Bruins have won the past three Eastern Championships, but Harvard has taken the dual meet between the teams--and the Ivy League crown--for two years running.

With a victory over Brown, another Ivy title seems likely for Harvard, along with an edge going into the Eastern meet, held February 25-27 at Blodgett Pool.

With a loss, all of the talk about becoming a national powerhouse becomes meaningless.

THE NOTEBOOK: The Brown Harvard meet features the two squads which account for the past five Ivy League titles...In last year's Eastern meet, Harvard and Brown swimmers finished first in 15 of the 20 events, including all five relays...Costello's breaststroke times would have broken the Eastern meet records in both events. Suhs' 50 freestyle time was only 0.03 off the Eastern mark in that race...The loss to Arizona was the first dual meet defeat for Harvard in almost two years.