Clemson Blanks San Diego St. for NCAA Title

CLEMSON, S.C.--Freshman Richie Richmond, subbing for injured All-American Bruce Murray, drove home a 12-yd. shot in the final minute of play as Clemson clinched a 2-0 victory over San Diego St. in the championship match of the NCAA Men's Soccer Tournament yesterday.

The championship was the second for Clemson in the past four years and represented the third national title for an Atlantic Coast Conference team in four seasons. Duke won the title last year.

Yesterday's title match was the most improbable of pairings as Clemson, the 23rd team selected to the 24-team play-off field, and San Diego St., the last team selected, tangled before a sellout crowd of 8000 fans.

The tigers, 18-5-1, and unranked going into the playoffs, dominated the first half, taking nine shots on goal to only two for the Aztecs.

For Starters

Senior Paul Rutenis gave the Tigers a 1-0 lead at the 22:31 mark of the half on a five-yd. header off an assist by Murray following a throw-in from the corner.

That lead held up despite San Diego St.'s more aggressive second-half play as the Aztecs missed three opportunities in the final 45 minutes.

Closing In

Richmond, who came on after Murray suffered an ankle sprain with 18:25 left, took a long pass form freshman Pearse Tormey, and chipped the ball past Aztec goalie Bryan Finnerty to start the Clemson celebration with 41 seconds left to play.

Clemson finished with 13 shots on goal to six for the Aztecs. Finnerty was credited with six saves, and Clemson goalie Tim Genovese, recording the first shut out of a San Diego St. team in 48 matches, was credited with two saves.

"Their team worked very hard to get us off our tempo," Clemson Coach I.M. Ibrahim said. "The hardest thing to do is get the tempo back when it slowes down."