Racquetwoman Edge Topped at Princeton

By Martha C. Abbruzzese

In most tournaments, you expect to see the numbers one-and two-ranked players in the finals. In tennis, you expect to see Martina Navratilova and Steffi Graff battling in the championship match.

In women's collegiate squash, it's Princeton's Demer Holleran and Harvard's Diana Edge. Holleran is the number-one ranked amateur, while Edge is currently number two.

So when the two faced off in the finals of the Princeton Invitational Squash Match yesterday in Princeton, not many people were surprised.

"Diana is Demer's only stiff competition in the collegaite ranks," Princeton Coach Betty Constable said.

Edge, who won the tournament in 1985 and placed second last year, was hoping for victory once again her senior year. But Holleran wanted the win just as badly, and number one prevailed in a four-game title match, 17-18, 15-9, 15-12, 15-11.

"She [Diana] was tough to play against, she had me worried," Holleran said. "We always have battles."

"Diana played a good match. She found out she can play with Demer," Harvard Coach Steve Piltch said.

Travelling to Princeton with four players--the most among the more than half-dozen schools represented in the tourney--the Crimson had all its members finishing in the top 10.

All in the Family

Knocked off by her sister Demer in straight games in the semifinals, Harvard's jenny Holleran finished fourth overall. Both Marianna Chilton and Lucy Miller also lost in straight sets, in the first round, but still tied for seventh place overall.

"The team had a good showing," Piltch said. "We were able to see our strengths and more importantly our weaknesses."

With no one missing from the line-up, the Crimson is looking forward to its first home match of the season, Wednesday afternoon against Trinity at Hemenway Gymnasium.