Profs Discuss US-Soviet Talks

Opinions Vary on INF Treaty's Efficacy

Today's summit talks could improve U.S.-Soviet relations if the two countries actually act on the proposed topics. Harvard professors today agreed, but their opinions of the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces (INF) treaty Reagan and Gorbachev are expected to sign varied.

U.S. conflicts with the Soviets go far beyond what can be addressed in personal agreements, said Richard E. Pipes. Frank B. Baird Jr. professor of history and an expert on the Soviet Union. Pipes said the Soviets have agreed to this reduction mainly because they are building new weapons such as the SS-24 missile. which makes those nuclear arms being eliminated not as useful to them. and frees them to use the treaty to "make a good impression" on the U.S.

Although he would like to see Afghanistan and other instances of Soviet political aggression discussed at the talks, Pipes said Gorbachev will probably "brush these things aside" in favor of his own preferred agenda.

While Pipes said the treaty allows the Soviet Union to project a more positive image abroad, Marshall I. Goldman, associate director of the Russian Research Center, said that the INF treaty is advantageous to the U.S. because the Soviets will have to destroy four missiles for every one that the U.S. destroys. Goldman, who will attend a lunch today at which Gorbachev will be present, explained that the Soviet leader must sign the agreement because his country has economic problems and cannot afford to spend so much money on missiles.

President Bok was also invited by the Soviet Foreign Ministry to attend a function with Gorbachev, as were other academic leaders, but he could not attend due to a scheduling difficulty.

Professor of Government Harvey C. Mansfield '53 said it is possible that U.S-Soviet relations will improve because of the summit but warned that, "[We should not] abandon our principles and run wild with the fervor of perfect universal peace."

Mansfield said he felt the Soviets see the INF treaty as an opportunity to distance the U.S. from its European allies. He emphasized that although the Soviets are destroying more missiles than the U.S., the result will be to create a missile vacuum in Europe that will make the U.S. more vulnerable to Soviet pressure.

The INF Treaty should have a strong effect on the climate of U.S.-Soviet relations, said Professor of Government Joseph S. Nye. However, he described the treaty as the "appetizer in a meal," and said it will be useful only if it is followed by a full dinner--or additional agreements.