CLASS CUTS

UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

Racist Sparks Fly

A racist flier slipped under the door of a dormitory lounge where about 20 Black woman students were holding an informal meeting has caused concern over race relations this month at the University of Michigan.

An imitation of an Ohio hunting season notice, the flier announced an "open season" on Blacks, and went on to list "regulations" according to which the "hunt" should proceed, The Michigan Daily reported. The flier used derogatory slurs in referring to Blacks.

Because of the racist pamphlet, university officials requested that all residents attend an open meeting in the dorm. More than 100 students of both races attended the meeting.

"I am shocked and appalled that such an incident could occur in this `enlightened' age at this institute of higher education," wrote Building Director Paul McNaughton about the pamphlet, The Daily reported.

"The incidents that have occurred here are really shocking. I never expected anything like this to happen here," said one freshman at the open meeting. STANFORD

Dean Took His Own Life, Detectives Say

San Mateo County detectives have attributed the death of a Stanford dean, an internationally known geological scholar under investigation for child molestation, to suicide.

Earth Sciences Dean Allan Cox, 60, died late last month when the bicycle he was riding left the roadway an struck a large tree head-on. He tumbled about 100 feet off the road, where he died of massive head injuries, The Stanford Daily reported.

Cox was renowned for his studies confirming plate tec tonic theories of sea floor spreading and continental drift. His work showed that the earth's magnetic field had reversed. He received the highest honor for achievement in the earth sciences, the Vetlesen Prize, in 1971.

The dean was under investigation for allegedly molesting the 14-year-old son of a doctoral degree candidate who studied with him. The candidate has claimed that Cox continued his sexual involvement with his son, who is now 19, The San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The speed at which Cox was bicycling, the apparent lack of any other vehicle's interference with his travel, the angle at which Cox's head hit the tree, and the dean's not wearing a helmet, as was his custom, are among the pieces of evidence that point to suicide, detectives said. CORNELL

One Fewer Reason to Enter Academics

Faculty members at Cornell University are this month debating whether professors should be able to receive royalties from books they assign to students in their courses, The Cornell Daily Sun reported.

It is unclear whether professors are preferentially assigning their own books, said Dean of Faculty Joseph B. Bugliari. But the resolution drafted by a member of the University Assembly would require that professors turn over to a tax-deductible fund profits they make off royalties from books they have written and require for their own classes.

Recommended Articles

Lamont Thievery Less Serious This Year, McNiff Says
Book thieves are finding projects more challenging than Lamont this year. Philip J. McNiff, Head Librarian of Lamont, reported yesterday
Why your professors assign their own textbooks
If you watch the mad scramble to the white pile in the front of the lecture hall during the opening
Review of Week's Rowing Practice
Candidates for the Freshman crew were called out for voluntary practice on Wednesday afternoon. Some 40 men responded and are
Second Rape in Five Days Reported at Harvard
A woman reported that she was raped Tuesday night near Oxford and Kirkland Streets according to a University police email to the Harvard community, just four days after another rape was reported inside Harvard Yard.
Administrators Secretly Searched Resident Deans' Email for Cheating Scandal Leak
Harvard administrators secretly accessed the email accounts of 16 resident deans in an attempt to determine who leaked communication regarding the Government 1310 cheating scandal that made its way to the media, the Boston Globe reported on Saturday evening.
Freshman Survey Part IV: Sex, Drugs, and MacBook Pros