Aquawomen Bathe Bulldogs

Run Season Mark to 5-0 With 96-44 Victory

By Joseph Kaufman

The Harvard women's swimming team started off its second semester in fine form last night at Blodgett Pool, trouncing Yale, 96-44, in front of 300 spectators.

As a result of the runaway victory, the Crimson kept its unbeaten record intact at 5-0, as well as its perfect 4-0 mark in the Ivy League. The Elis, meanwhile, fell to 4-3 overall, 1-3 in the Ivies.

Even though Harvard eased off towards the end of the meet, it still wound up taking 13 of the 16 races, A well-balanced Crimson attack saw 13 different members of the team earn first place, either in a relay or individually.

"Harvard is the best team on the East coast right now," Whether they have the depth to win the Eastern Championships is tough to see, however."

Harvard Coach Maura Costin Scalise was less enthusiastic about her team's performance, citing this weekend's big meet at Princeton as a real test of the Crimson's abilities.

"Tonight we were a little tired and a little flat," Costin Scalise said. "Our freshman got in some good swims, but we haven't really been challenged yet in the league. Without question, we will have to swim faster in order to beat Princeton on Saturday."

The highlight of the meet came in the one-meter diving event, when sophomore Jenny Greene shattered the Harvard team record with her score of 289.58 points.

Sophomore Janice Sweetser helped to pace the Crimson swimmers with her one relay and two individual wins. Sweetser won the 200-yd. freestyle and 200 breaststroke, and she teamed up with freshman Nina Anderson and sophomores Tara Gustilo and Stacey Moran to capture the 400 freestyle relay.

Anderson also claimed first place in the 100 butterfly, and her time of 59.52 seconds qualified her for next month's Eastern Championship, to be held at Brown.

Kaari Reierson, Mia Costello, Karen Schneider and Mary Quinn teamed to take the 200 medley relay. Reierson also snagged the 100 backstroke, Costello finished first in the 100 breaststroke, and Quinn captured the 100 freestyle with a time of 53.83.

Karen Dehmel won the 200 butterfly, Linda Suhs earned the gold in the 50 freestyle, and Molly Clark outtouched teammate Schneider to grab first- place in the 200 individual medley.

Lisa Reed's total of 218.70 points was good enough for the top spot in the one-meter diving.

Next for Harvard is a showdown with the Tigers in New Jersey. Along with a road contest at Penn. this meet figures to be one of the two toughest hurdles in Harvard's drive for an undefeated season and a second consecutive Ivy League championship.