Brandeis Clergy Conduct Hunger Strike

Protest University's South Africa Investments

WALTHAM -- Red bandanas appeared on the arms of many students at Brandeis University yesterday in a show of solidarity with three clergymen who began a two-week hunger strike Sunday in protest of the university's investments in South Africa.

Rabbi Albert Axelrad, Father Maurice R. Loiselle and Reverend Diane Moore will consume only water and light juices "as a symbolic expression of atonement over profits derived from so morally nefarious a source," according to a letter released by the three yesterday.

The two-week-long fast is the third phase of a plan by the Chaplaincy of Brandeis University to pressure the Waltham school to divest of its $1.5 million in South Africa-related investments. Students were encouraged to join in the first two phases of protest, which consisted of skipping meals. The money from the missed meals is going to Oxfam America.

The three chaplains have decided not to discuss their fast with the press, but some student activists have said they want to publicize the fast.

According to Sandy Guben, a student divestment activist, in deference the chaplains wishes, no violent action would result from the fast. But she added, "We're all angry that the chaplains have to do this to themselves."

Students maintained two vigils near a mock South Africa shanty over the past two days to honor the clergy. As many as 120 students participated in the second vigil, according to Adam W. Frank, a sophomore who participated in the vigil.

However, John R. Hose, executive assistant to the president, said that only "15 to 30 students" and "one to four faculty" joined in the vigil.

But Hose said that student support for the fast is widespread. "The range of political opinion [at Brandeis] runs from left-of-center to radical left," he said.

Brandeis President Evelyn E. Handler was out of town and unavailable for comment. Hose said, "The administration doesn't have an opinion [on the fast]--it's personal statement [by the clergy]."

The fast comes at a time of great tension at Brandeis over the divestment issue. The Board of Trustees recently voted to postpone consideration until may of divestment of the $1.5 million in companies connected with South Africa. Conflict over the divestment issue is likely to come to a head in may, Guben said.

"I'm absolutely positive that before the end of the semester there will be more actions, more arrests--I'm positive," she said.