Shuttle Bus Must Relocate Another Stop

Cambridge Police Say Drivers Block Traffic on Cambridge Common Corner

Responding to orders from the Cambridge Police Department, the Harvard shuttle bus system has been forced to relocate another stop in order to comply with traffic regulations, shuttle officials said yesterday.

Cambridge Police notified Harvard last week that shuttle buses to the Quad may no longer stop at the corner of Garden St. and Mass Ave because they block traffic while picking up passengers, said Frank Rose, superintendent of central services in the Facilities Maintenance Department and head of the shuttle bus system.

To remedy any possible inconvenience this change may cause, Rose said he is considering relocating the Cambridge Common stop about 150 feet away on the evening routes. A new stop may be added in front of the Sheraton Commander Hotel, he said.

Rose said that buses have been blocking traffic flow because they stop in one-lane traffic and double park next to a row of meters while passengers board. "It's a bad place to stop anyway because it's at a corner," he said.

After Fire Department officials complained that the shuttle bus stop was a parking violation, Cambridge Police decided to complain to the College, Rose said.

"The city hasn't complained over past years about the shuttle bus, but this year, someone is raising some questions," Rose said. He said he was unsure why Cambridge officials chose this moment to enforce traffic regulations.

Rose said he does not think the police will force him to change any other stops on the shuttle routes. "These two [that have been changed] are the most important stops. Even though [other stops] may not be that legal, thecity is not complaining," Rose said.

Last month Cambridge police ordered Harvardofficials to remove another shuttle but stop fromthe Science Center because waiting buses blockedother vehicles, and to require that their drivershold Class II motor licenses. Harvard subsequentlyrelocated the stop to the front of Memorial Halland requested all shuttle bus drivers to taketests to qualify for the licenses.

Where Now?

Joseph M. Freeman '86-'87, captain of theshuttle bus system, said that he does not knowwhere the new Cambridge Common stop will belocated. Alternative stops will be discussed thisweek, he said.

"We are hoping to implement [new stops] thisweek," Rose said. Until a new schedule takeseffect, waiting passengers must flag down the busnear the former Cambridge Common stop, Rose said.

Shuttle officials said they will not to letthe changes cause in-conveniences to students.

"We have to deal with the needs of our studentsand also comply with municipal regulations," Rosesaid. He added that the change at the ScienceCenter has worked out well. "Students arecomplying, and we and the city are happy aboutit," he said.

Currier resident David A. Nacht '87, who usesthe Cambridge Common stop often, was not veryconcerned about the change in shuttle schedule. "Idon't think it's going to be a big deal. It willjust mean an extra few minutes of walking," hesaid