Heptagonal Meets

By Colin F. Boyle

The Harvard men's track team placed eighth with 33.5 points and the women's team placed fifth with 47 points in the Heptagonal Indoor Track Meet held yesterday at Halsey Field House in Annapolis, Md.

The Princeton men's team repeated its victory in last year's HEPS by scoring 108 team points, ahead of Dartmouth (89) and Navy (87). Penn's women's team, which finished second in last year's HEPS, took home the gold this year with 114 team points. Yale took second in the women's meet with 84 points, while Dartmouth placed third with 68 points.

The Crimson men, who fell from last year's fifth place finish, won only one event in the 40th annual meet. Senior Paul Gompers won the 5000-meter run with a time of 14:18.95. Junior James Russell placed second in the 35-lb. hammer throw with a throw of 19.08 meters.

No Surprise

The Harvard women, who also placed fifth overall in last year's HEPS, were again led by Co-Captain Erin Sugrue. Sugrue won the high jump with a jump of 5-ft., 7 3/4-in. and also took second in the 55-meter hurdles with a time of 8.17 and in the triple jump with a leap of 11.50 meters.

Freshman Meredith Rainey won the 400-meter run with a time of 55.79.