NCAA Hockey Tourney Wrap

UND 6, SLU 3

Minnesota 4, B.C. 1

Dave Snuggerud and Tom Chorske each scored a pair of goals last night and goalie John Blue kicked out 42 shots to lead the University of Minnesota to a 4-1 victory over Boston College in the opening round of the NCAA Division 1 hockey quarterfinals.

The final score gives Minnesota a three-goal lead going into Saturday's game in the two-game, total-goals format.

Minnesota opened the scoring 14 minutes into the game when Snuggerud fired from the left face-off circle and beat BC goalie Davie Littman to the far corner.

Boston College got their only goal of the night at 19:26 of the first period when Ken Hodge scored on a wrist shot from 20 feet in the slot through a screen.

Minnesota put the game away in the second period as Chorske netted a power-play goal at 15:36 and scored again at 19:01.

Snuggerud closed the scoring at 17:12 of the final period.

UND 3, St. Lawrence 1

St. Lawrence made only a few mistakes in its NCAA Division I quarterfinal game against North Dakota last night.

Unfortunately for the Saints, they came while Tony Hrkac was on the ice as North Dakota took the first game of their total-goal series, 3-1.

"We just had a couple of bad breakdowns on goals they got," St. Lawrence Coach Joe Marsh said.

Hrkac, a 5-ft., 11-in. sophomore forward, assisted on all three Sioux goals.

"He [Hrkac] is extremely quick," Marsh said. "He can just take off on a dime."

North Dakota scored a goal in each of the three periods, two on power plays. Lee Davidson took a pass from Hrkac in front of St. Lawrence goalie Scott Yearwood at 16:57 of the first period, which was marred by 11 penalties between the two teams.

At 4:09 of the second period, Steve Johnson backhanded a goal into the net with Hrkac and Bob Joyce assisting.

And about 3 minutes into the third period, Joyce stuck in a rebound of a shot by Brent Bobyck, who took a pass from Hrkac.

UND goalie Ed Belfour held St. Lawrence in check after surrendering a goal to Dave Saunders at 1:17 into the first period. Rick Mulligan and Mike Hurlbut assisted on the St. Lawrence goal.

The game featured fine goaltending by both Belfour and Yearwood. Each recorded 38 saves.

Beflour stopped all five St. Lawrence power plays, while Yearwood provided few opportunities for North Dakota to take advantage of rebounds.

"Great goaltending on both ends of the rink," UND Coach Gino Gasparini said. "I thought we could bust open the game in the third period but Yearwood made several saves."

North Dakota, the No. 1-ranked team in the country and 37-8 on the year, and St. Lawrence (24-10) will play their final game Saturday night to determine who will reach the Final Four in Detroit next week.

Michigan St. 6, Maine 2

Right wing Kevin Miller had a goal and assist last night to lead Michigan State to a 6-2 victory over Maine in NCAA hockey playoff action.

Maine led 1-0 after the first period before the Spartans scored three times in the second period on goals by defensemen Don McSween, Tom Tilley and Bruce Rendall.

Maine right wing Guy Perron scored his second goal of the contest, a power-play tally 2:38 into the third period, to bring the Black Bears to within 3-2. But Michigan State scored three times in the final 12:29, including goals by Mitch Messier, Brian McReynolds and Miller.

Michigan State goaltender Norm Foster made 33 saves, while Maine's Al Loring stopped 26 shots.

The two-game, total-goal series resumes here Saturday night. The winner advances to the NCAA semifinals next Thursday at Detroit's Joe Louis Arena.

The victory lifted Michigan State's record to 31-9-2, while Maine fell to 24-15-2.

Crimson, 7-1 at Bright Center Bowling Green  0-1-0--1 Harvard  3-3-1--7

First Period--1, H, Steve Armstrong 11 (Josh Caplan, Chris Biotti) 1:27;2, H, Lane MacDonald 36 (Randy Taylor, Allen Bourbeau) 4:51; 3, H, Don Sweeney 7 (Armstrong, Caplan) 16:41. Penalties--BG, Kevin Dahl (roughing) 3:54; H, Andy Janfaza (slashing) 3:54; BG, Iain Duncan (interference) 4:21; BG Thad Rusiecki (holding) 14:54.

Second Period--4, H, C.J. Young 15 (unassisted) 3:09; 5, H, Young 16 (Tim Barakett, Sweeney) 8:00; 6, H, Bourbeau 21 (MacDonald, Barakett) 11:37; 7, BG, Duncan 28 (Nelson Emerson, Don Barber) 18:32. Penalties--H, Barakett (tripping) 2:01; BG, Dahl (tripping) 8:00; BG, Scott Paluch (elbowing) 10:43; H, Nick Carone (highsticking) 16:41.

Third Period--8, H, Barakett 24 (Taylor, Bourbeau) 11:07. Penalties--BG, Barber (roughing) 8:03; Bg, Rob Urban (roughing) 8:03; H, MacDonald (roughing) 8:03; H, Caplan (roughing) 8:03; BG, Duncan (checking after the whistle) 10:00; Marc Potvin (charging) 17:51.

Saves--BG, Gary Kruzich 12-9-13--34; H, Dickie McEvoy 7-11-11--29.

A:3350