HARVARD HOCKEY CLASS OF 1987

Randy Taylor

"I don't think I'm a flashy player" says Randy Taylor. "I'm just someone who tries to get the job done."

And get the job done, he does. Several jobs actually.

Taylor is fourth on the Crimson this season with 38 points, but recording goals is not what he does best.

What the Cornwall, Ontario native does do best--better than virtually every other blue-liner in the East--is play defense. He and Mark Benning have been partners for three seasons, and the duo has become one of the top pairs of defensemen in college hockey.

After being named second-team All-ECAC his junior season, Taylor garnered first-team conference honors this year.

Not only does his imposing 6-ft., 2-in., frame intimidate opposing forwards streaking down the ice, but his stick-handling abilities have earned him a spot at point on the deadly Harvard power play for each of the past three years.

Taylor's freshman campaign was not his most memorable. Personally, he accumulated only three assists in 23 games but, more important, the team had troubles.

Taylor's personal production has steadily improved these past three years, and he picked up his 100th career point in the playoffs against Brown earlier this month.

The pros have taken notice of the Currier House resident's improved play, and the Pittsburgh Penguins chose Taylor in last year's supplemental draft.

"Ideally I'd like to get a chance at playing pro hockey," Taylor says. "But I'm going through the on-campus recruiting process just in case."

If Harvard is to advance further in the NCAA tournament this year, it win have to beat another number one team. And Taylor thinks the Crimson has a good shot at knocking off the Fighting Sioux.

How would he like to be remembered? "As someone who was a member of the national championship team," Taylor says.