Warm Sunday Leaves Libraries Empty

64-Degree High Misses Record, But No One's Complaining

As temperatures rose into the mid-60-degree range yesterday, students put aside their books and basked on the sunny banks of the Charles and in the Yard and house courtyards.

Although the high of 64 degrees did not break any records in Boston, in New York and Philadelphia the temperature climbed to 75 degrees breaking previous records.

The last time Bostonians experienced such balmy weather was in 1965 which set the record for this date.

But students yesterday were not worried about breaking any records. Gregory P. Lee '90 said, "I should read Shakespeare and finish "King Lear" but it's just too bright outside. Then I'll have to wear my sunglasses and listen to The Cure which always puts me to sleep."

The Grays resident added that he really liked the weather, "especially when I compare it to all the crappy weather we've had in the last six months."

However, the warm weather was not affecting some people's studies. "I really don't study that much anyway. I've read 12 pages in the last two hours," laughed Vaishali P. Bakshi '90. She said her goals for the afternoon were simple: "bask."

Even midterms could not deter people from the temptation outdoors. Lamont Library security guard David Chambers said, "We've been very busy as usual but many more people are checking books out to read outside."

Walking out of Lamont 10 minutes after arriving, John Y. Kim '89 said, "I'm going to do some lighter reading outside. Then, I can have the best of both worlds. I can get some work done and enjoy the balm."

Sunbathing will not affect Kim's studying for midterms because "it's going to be in the 30's again tomorrow," he said.

In the Yard, freshmen were watching some of the classmates tossing around a lacrosse ball from the vantage of a couch outside Holworthy Hall and a love seat and armchair in front of Thayer Hall. The barefoot, shorts-clad players hit various passers-by with less-than carefully aimed shots.

An employee at Baskin Robbins ice cream in the Square said that business was at a record high, better even than during the summer high season. "During this season, we are lucky if we sell 200 cones a day. But today, it looks like we'll break 900," he said.

Down by the river, groups of banjo and guitar players amused sunbaskers, bicyclists, roller-skaters, strollers.

But tomorrow will be more seasonal as temperatures plummet into the 30's with gusts of wind from the northeast.

Meanwhile, as Jennifer M. O'Shea '90 said yesterday, "We're lovin' it."