Crimson Crews to Face Bruins

Return From Success in West to Host Archrival Brown

By Ken Segel

Fresh from an important regatta victory last Saturday at the San Diego Crew Classic, the Harvard heavyweight crews open their "regular season" against Brown this morning on the Charles.

The Bruins have traditionally rowed well against the Crimson. In 1985, Brown was the only team to defeat the national champion Harvard varsity, edging the heavies by a scant second in the annual season opener for both crews.

Last year, the Harvard Eight returned the favor, pulling past the finish just half-a-second ahead of their Rhode Island rivals.

Doubtless

As usual, the Crimson will be the favored crew in this morning's matchup. Harvard's recent victory at San Diego makes them the strongest heavyweight boat in the early season, while Brown's surprising loss to B.U. on the Charles last Saturday indicates the Bruins' potential vulnerability.

But Harvard Coach Harry Parker isn't taking anything for granted.

"I suspect Brown probably hadn't sorted their crews too well," Parker said. "They'll still be pretty tough to beat."

The Crimson line-up will remain unchanged from last week. Senior George Hunnewell will stroke the varsity, backed by Rich Kennelly at seven, Jack Rusher at six, Claude Sirlin at five, Captain Steve Wayne in the four-seat, Allen Fawcett at three, and a bow pair of Kevin Cameron, and Phillip Schuller. Jim Crick will Cox the varsity.

The lighweights

As soon as the heavyweight actions ends, the lightweights will take over the Charles River race course for a tri-meet with Dartmouth and MIT.

The Crimson has traditionally dominated the competition for the Biglin Bowl, earning the trophy 27 times in 32 years. In each of the past two seasons, the Harvard lights have swept the races, earning convincing victories at the JV and freshman levels as well.

Today the lights will be looking for their first victory of the year after a surprising 10th-of-a-second loss to Penn last weekend at Philadelphia.

The Crimson crews, looking to return to the highest level of lightweight rowing under second-year coach Charles Butt, will nonetheless be favored to cross the line ahead of the Big Green and Engineers.

The varsity boat will sport a few new faces. Junior Andy Hoyt moves over from the JV to stroke the first varsity race of his career, and last week's stroke, Jim Himes, moves back to the five-seat.