Companies to Show Off Their Latest Gadgetry

By Evan O. Grossman

When the Happy Hacker was still in junior high he went to his first computer show. They were a big thing in those days, before the Apple II and the IBM PC; they provided a rare opportunity for the few zealots who were playing fast and loose with the fringes of technology to congregate.

A good year would see three or four shows come to the New York area, the Happy Hacker's pre-Harvard habitat. Computer shows provide an opportunity for everyone from the computer neophyte to the experienced hacker to keep tabs with the latest in techno-gadgetry.

These days, computer shows are no longer a special cultural event for computer users. The Boston area alone gets several a year. But, shows are still useful, fun and entertaining, and that's why the Happy Hacker plans to spend part of today in Memorial Hall at the Harvard Computer Society's computer show.

From 10 a.m. to 3 p.m., various vendors, merchants and manufacturers will be trying to convince students, faculty and staff that their gizmo is the absolute tops. The Happy Hacker is looking forward to several booths in particular.

Apple

Most students' favorite designer of cute icons is bringing its latest bushel of high-tech toys. The Macintosh II which is bigger, faster and more powerful than the present generation of Macintoshes and the Macintosh SE which is basically a Mac Plus with an expansion slot, will both be shown for the first time in the Boston area.

IBM

In addition to the popular line of XTs and ATs, Big Blue is bringing the new Personal System/2, certain to be a popular attraction. Of course, most of IBM's recently announced new generation of computers won't be available until this time next year, but getting a glimpse of the Personal System/2 will let you know if the wait might be worthwhile.

Commodore

Showing off their high-powered, color and graphics masterpiece, the Amiga, Commodore is hoping to gain a major piece of the personal computer market. No matter how good the machine is, the Happy Hacker advises people to stay with the accepted standards. Besides, unless you want fancy video games, the IBM or Macintosh is sure to serve most normal purposes.

Compaq

Although it's not as new as the latest IBM's, the Compaq 386 remains one of the few available and the only reliable high-powered IBM compatibles. Because it'll be a year before you can purchase the same amount of computing power from IBM, it pays to scope out the Compaq.

Zenith

Yet another maker of IBM compatibles, Zenith offers hefty student discounts and a wide range of sophisticated portables. Zenith is the Happy Hacker's portable computer of choice for doing thesis research in the Widener stacks.

Tandy

Althought the Happy Hacker's first computer was made by Radio Shack, he no longer professes any brand loyalty. Sure, Tandy makes some reasonably priced IBM compatibles, but why waste your time looking at them at the Harvard Computer Society show when you can see them at your local Radio Shack.

Desktop Publishing

Many of the vendors displaying their wares are sure to have an adequate supply of the latest hardware and software to fulfill everybody's desktop publishing needs. From laser printers to page layout software, manufacturers are jumping into the business of selling publishing aids. It seems that word processing no longer provides the necessary quality, and so now companies are urged to produce their own `publication quality' documents in-house.

Academic Courseware

Although the Happy Hacker has yet to see more than a few successful applications of personal computers to the classroom, educators across the country have been writing software to assist and drill their students in everything from Algebra to Zoology. Kinko's copies, the Happy Hacker's favorite 24-hour copy center, has been the sponsor of a nationwide exchange program in which people at colleges across the country can trade various educational software. Look for their booth at the show and then make sure that you distract your chemistry professor should he attempt to gain more information. After all, building stick models of molecules is difficult, but trying to explain the task to your Mac is infinitely harder.

It's Free

Of course the Happy Hacker's real motivation for going to the show is to pick-up t-shirts from IBM and Apple--the latest in techno-chic worn at the Science Center basement. And, the Happy Hacker is certain to also look for the free highlighters, baseball caps and other hackerobelia. Even if he doesn't go home with a new computer, the trinkets gained are certain to make the show worth the trip.