Shuttle

MAIL:

To the Editors of the Crimson:

In its recent reporting on the implementation of the new shuttle bus schedule, the Crimson did more than report--it created conflict where there was none. In his two stories on the situation, Jeffrey Nordhaus ignores the real news event--the prompt implementation of a student-designed and student-supported plan.

According to Nordhaus' article, "shuttle bus riders faced confusion and chaos" when the new schedule took effect before the Undergraduate Council could circulate schedules. As a Quad resident and shuttle bus passenger, I observed no chaos and little confusion; any confusion which did exist has already been ameliorated by the Council's distribution of schedules.

The Crimson would also have its readers believe that members of the Undergraduate Council's Services Committee, which oversaw the development of the new schedule, were outraged by implementation of the plan one week ahead of schedule. Any disappointment Committee members may feel about the lack of advance warning is vastly overshadowed by our satisfaction at the achievement of one of our top priorities--the implementation of a shuttle bus schedule which better serves student needs.

The system worked the way it is supposed to: a need was perceived by concerned students who, after soliciting House Committee input, devised a solution which the Services Committee then presented to the administration. Jill I. Brown

Undergraduate Council