Rugby Squads Gear Up

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

It's the season in a weekend for the Harvard rugby club, and the beginning of another for the Radcliffe squad.

The Crimson travels today to Providence, R.I. to participate in the Ivy League Tournament hosted by Brown while the Black and White will compete in the Bridgewater State Tournament in Bridgewater.

Harvard will be trying to win back the Ivy title it last won in 1984. The Bruins have defeated the Crimson the past two years and the two clubs are favored to meet in the finals for the third consecutive year. Harvard is seeded number two behind Brown.

"It's the entire spring season right here," said Rob Leavitt, the sole holdover from the 1984 team which captured the Ivy and national championships. "It's the best competition and our last big tournament."

All eight Ivy League teams will be competing although Dartmouth will be sending its B-side. The Big Green's A-side is in the final 16 of national competition.

In the New England Invitational Tournament last weekend in Providence, Brown defeated Harvard, 23-17.

"We're out for revenge," said Harvard Coach Martyn Kingston. "We have a few guys back from injuries although we are still missing a few. We are quietly confident."

One of the missing ruggers is Cory Thabit, who is participating in an all-star rugby game in California.

Radcliffe Rugby

While the men try to win back the Ivy crown, the Radcliffe rugby club will open its spring season today in the Bridgewater State Invitational Tournament.

So far this spring, three contests, including the Ivy League tournament, have been cancelled.

"We are really anxious to play," said four-year veteran Jenny Thomas. "We've got a lot of talent and we are ready to play."

In today's tournament, Radcliffe (4-3 in the fall) is seeded number two and expects a tough contest with number one-seeded Williams. The winner of this contest will face the Yale-Bridgewater winner for the championship.

"Williams is a strong and hard-hitting club," said Thomas. "We will have to come out strong and hit hard to let them know we are there."

"We're really psyched to be finally playing our first game," said Megan Jewett.

A big plus for the Black and White is the addition of volunteer Coach Kari Heffernan. Because rugby at Harvard is a club sport, the Department of Athletics does not help support the sport and the club cannot afford to pay a coach. Also, for the first time, Radcliffe has withdrawn the support it had been given the club.

Heffernan, a member of the Beantown rugby club, came to the club after the players told her they did not have a coach.

"She has been amazing," said Co-Captain Helen Wong. "We could not do without the help she has given us."