Water Polo

Sports Wrap

The Harvard women's water polo team eschewed the temptations of the Strip over spring break and posted a 3-2 mark in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

Eighteen members of the Crimson squad traveled to the Sunshine State for a week of training, and participated in a tournament at the Hall of Fame Pool. Harvard dropped a pair of contests to the Ft. Lauderdale "B" team, but racked up two victories over the city's "A" club. The Crimson went on to edge a squad from Cooper City in its final contest.

The opposing clubs were composed mainly of local high school students.

"It was great to play teams we never get to play up here," junior Co-Captain Leslie Barbi said. "They had different kinds of emphasis--we learned to lay low in the water, but really keep our legs going, so that we could pop up and steal the ball."

After registering a blank in the steal column in its first outing, Harvard increased its steal total in each succeeding game. In the team's final contest, hole player Lynley Ogilvie alone recorded five steals.

Ogilvie, along with Emily Ozer and Co-Captain Kelley Withy, paced the Crimson in scoring during the five-game stint. Withy tallied four of the team's goals in its 5-3 victory over Ft. Lauderdale "A" in the tournament's second contest.

Other standouts were Eileen Pratt, who won 12 of 15 sprints for Harvard, and freshmen Amy Sandler and Kelly McEnaney, each of whom scored the first goals of their Crimson careers.

Harvard will host a tournament this weekend at Blodgett Pool, featuring MIT, Brown and Queens.