Thinclads Fall At Finish; Crushed By Huskies

By Colin F. Boyle

The Harvard men's track team finished its season in the same way it started it--losing big. In the Crimson's final outdoor meet this year, the host Northeastern Huskies crushed Harvard, 104-50, on Saturday.

The Crimson captured only five out of the 19 events. Despite the low score, many of the younger team members had outstanding performances, indicating that they will be ready for next season.

Freshman Brian Davis snared the 3000-meter steeplechase with a time of 9:35.6. Harvard swept this event as sophomore Brian Cann nabbed second with a time of 10:05.7 and senior Seth Goldman took third in 10:07.

Junior Don LaVigne grabbed first place in the 400-meter intermediate hurdles with a time of 57.6. Davis finished third in the event with a time of 62.5.

In the weight events, junior James Russell, who has already qualified for the national championships, captured the hammer throw with a throw of 194-ft., 3-in. Sophomore Joe Giani nabbed second in the discus with a toss of 138-ft., 4-in.

Two seniors managed to win events in their last career meet. Chris "Robertson copped the 400-meter run with a time of 49.9, and Steve Pinney leapt to victory with a pole vault of 14-ft., 6-in Pinney also took third in the high jump with a 6-ft., 6-in. leap.

The co-captains wrapped up their Crimson track careers with solid performances. Rob Gustafson placed second in the long jump with a leap of 21-ft., 3 1/4-in., and Steve Abbey captured third in 110-meter hurdles with a time of 16.0.

"We took the season in perspective," Davis said. "We knew we had a young team and we tried to run as hard as we could. We'll miss the seniors, but we're hoping that next year's freshmen will be able to step into their place, and that the other people will also improve."