A Bright Approach to Hockey

Team of the Year

By Mark Brazaitis

The teams occupied the same home. Both brought glory--and a handful of banners--to Bright Center.

One team had no superstars, just a bunch of gung-ho overachievers; the other boasted a troika of standouts--one on offense, one on defense and one guarding the goal mouth.

One team attracted thousands to each home game; the other brought in 30 or so. One team had a history of success; the other a history of mediocrity.

Both the Harvard men's and women's hockey teams made this a landmark year; when the Bright lights went on, Harvard hockey shone.

In the first year, there was Julie Sasner. The quick, powerful skater gave Harvard a scoring threat. Crimson opponents would have to play defense. Play hard.

But she alone was not enough. The Crimson would have to wait for an Ivy League championship. In 1985, Harvard finished fifth in the league.

In the second year, there was Jennifer White. The quick, powerful goalie gave Harvard a first-class defense. Harvard opponents would have to work for their goals. Work hard.

But she and Sasner alone were not enough. The Crimson would have to wait for an Ivy championship. In 1986, Harvard finished fourth in the league.

In the third year, there was Char Joslin. The quick, powerful defender gave Harvard not only improved defense but another scoring threat as well. Crimson opponents were stuck--Joslin could hurt them both behind and in front of the blue line. Stuck deep.

She and White and Sasner were enough. The Crimson would have to wait no longer. In 1987, Harvard recorded a 10-0 Ivy record (19-4 overall) to earn its first Ivy title ever, and went on to finish first in the league tournament in a stunning, 2-1 double-overtime thriller over Princeton.

And for the first time, the Crimson moved on to the four-team ECAC Tournament (the equivalent of the NCAA Final Four), where it fell to eventual-champion New Hampshire, 4-1. Even to make the tournament was a fantastic achievement. Next year, the Harvard players vowed, they would win it.

And why not?

The team will lose only one player, third-line forward Pam DiRubio, to graduation. Sasner, the co-captain who finished with a 2.00 points-per-game average, will be back. So will second-line