Seniorial Success in the Athletic Arena

Kelley Withy

Kelley Withy, the women's water polo co-captain and leading scorer this season, is not entirely leaving the sport behind when she graduates.

The Berkeley, Calif. native is planning to attend medical school next year in water polo hotbed San Diego.

But which will be her priority--doctoring or splashing around?

"It shouldn't be that hard doing both," the Kirkland House resident says. "Medical school will be hard, but it can't take all of my time."

Water polo, however, will not be a life priority for her. In the future, she sees herself "in California, as a doctor of obstetrics. But I'm not sure. They say you change your mind many times in medical school."

An honors psychology major, Withy was accepted to Harvard Early Action four years ago and came to Cambridge as a high-school All-America water polo player. She joined a small team with an inexperienced coach, but since then the water polo program has taken a turn for the better.

In Withy's junior year, Chris Hafferty came to Harvard to coach water polo, bringing experience and an eagerness to win to the post. That same year, the Crimson hosted the national women's water polo tournament for the first time.

This year, the women's water polo team consisted of nearly 40 members, most of whom were first-year players.

"It'll probably mean either cutting players or staggering the workouts to give all of the team members more attention," says Withy. "Interest in playing water polo is something we treasure, especially in the east, and we don't want to discourage anyone from playing."