Harvard Welcomes Alumni With Cocktails and Cruises

Gala Reunion Festivities Begin

By Heather R. Mcleod

Harvard pulled out the party favors and let the festivities commence, as more than 3000 alumni and their families descended on Cambridge yesterday to participate in their 25th, 35th and 50th class reunions.

The hectic week of socializing and symposiahopping got underway yesterday as members of the Class of 1962 and of the Class of 1952 registered at the Freshman Union and Dunster House. For the Class of 1937, the party begins today as they arrive and register at Winthrop House.

Attendence at all of the events is likely to be high, organizers said. This is a record breaking year in the numbers of alumni to attend the reunions, according to Marion R. Briefer, who has organized Harvard reunions for the last 12 years. The Class of 1952, particularly was very large and "very involved. They've always come back in large numbers," she said.

One of the returning alumni, Sean E. Tierney '62 of Laguna, California, said yesterday, "I've been looking forward to it for a long time." He registered yesterday with his wife and their two children. While Tierney said he was anxious to visit with old friends, his eight-year-old daughter, Katie, said she was looking forward to the circus trip planned by child-care organizers. "I've never been to a circus," she said.

Her parents may feel like they are at the circus as well, as organizers said they have planned a whirl of activities that will keep the alumni very entertained.

The alumni from the Class of 1962 will participate in a variety of symposia on topics ranging from "American Leadership and Foreign Competition in the World Economy," moderated by A. Michael Spence, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, to "Nurturing the Whole Self," moderated by Edith Humphreys '62.

For those who like to stretch the body as well as the mind, organizers have planned an excursion to the Essex Country Club where reunion-goers can participate in golf and tennis tournaments and recreational sports. Evening entertainment for the Class of 1962 ranges from a Flamenco Cabaret to a formal dinner and dance, where alumni will have the chance to hash over college memories.

Fun for the Whole Family

The alumni children will spend the next four days playing computer-games, visiting amusment parks, bowling and watching movies. And for the college-aged progeny, discos, dinners, and discussions have been planned.

Meanwhile, the Class of 1952 will have the opportunity to whale watch, take a harbor cruise, and feast at a clam bake. The Class of 1937 will attend various symposia, including one given by Sissela Bok, dine and dance, while observing the changes that 50 years have brought to Harvard and Cambridge.

To make sure the reunion-goers do not overlook any of the new sights, the University will run tours of the new buildings on the Harvard campus, and buses will shuttle interested alumni to museums and local Boston sights.

The reunions also provide alumni with a chance to see how the nature of Harvard student life has changed. Peter Reich '52 said that he did not think the University had changed a great deal since his graduation 35 years ago. But he added, "I think the kids are a lot less independent today," recounting how his generation had to struggle through the war era and depression.

At the end of the four days of non-stop activity, all the alumni will participate in the Commencement day parade.

In order to attend the reunions, Class of 1962 alumni paid $585 as a flat family fee to cover expenses for themselves, their children, and their married children's spouses. If they have youngsters who will participate in the coordinated child-care activites, they shelled out a extra $100. The 25th reunion alumni are housed on campus and are the only ones invited to bring their children with them.

Alumni attending the 35th and 50th reunions paid slightly less and had the choice of staying off campus if they prefered. Registration fees covered food, lodging, activities, and symposium.

But the reunion-goers said the experience is worth the money. "It's a great chance to exchange ideas and experiences with others from my class," said Jim Welch '52.

And Harvard even gives out party favors. Returning members of the Class of 1962 received hats, ties, T-shirts, and glasses emblazoned with their class year. The other two class reunions gave items ranging from tote bags to umbrellas as gifts.

There's more to the reunions than rushing about to scheduled events, alumni said. "The activities are nice, but that's not why we're here. We're here to see the people," said Bruce Johnstone '62.

Johnstone says he is one of the many alumni who have maintained close college friendships over the years. He ate lunch in the Freshman Union yesterday with his college roommate of three years, Phillip Bernstein '62.

Bernstein said his family sees the Johnstones at least once a year despite the fact that the Bernsteins now live in California, and the Johnstones in Needham, Massachusetts.

Seeing old friends is definitely the best part, agreed Robert Little '37, who showed up a day early to arrange a display of his art work at Winthrop where the 50th reunion will register today. "I'm looking forward to seeing all the old goats," he said.