Bio Labs Get New Director

By Sophia A. Van wingerden

Following a nationwide search, the vice chairman of the University of Pennsylvania's chemistry department has been appointed director of Harvard's Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Laboratories.

As director, James E. Davis will be responsible for managing laboratory budgets, fundraising and supervising an administrative staff of 12 people. More than 250 students and professors are affiliated with the 15 labs, which draw nearly $10 million in research funding each year.

Davis fills the vacancy left by Thomas Bazzone, who departed a year ago to pursue a career as an independent consultant.

"It was a real struggle during last year to keep things on an even keel. I'm hoping [Davis'] presence will be a positive influence," said Tom Maniatis, chairman of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

Davis was selected from a field of about 20 professors and scientific administrators, said Robert Rotner, associate dean for administration in the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. "I thought that Jim Davis was outstanding," Rotner said.

Davis studied chemistry at Mississippi State University and received his Ph.D in physical chemistry from MIT. He was a postdoctoral fellow at the California Institute of Technology and later held teaching and administrative positions at Oakland University in Michigan.

In 1972, Davis left for Penn, where he held a number of administrative posts before becoming vice chairman. Davis also taught freshman chemistry and biochemistry courses.

"I'm very happy to be here," said Davis, who assumed his new duties July 1. Davis said he will live in Dunster House, but will have no formal responsibilities as tutor.

Davis said he has not been directly involved in research since moving to Penn in 1972, and is not planning to return to the labs. "It's not where my strength lies. I really do enjoy teaching and administration," he said.

Instead, Davis said he will concentrate onadministrative tasks for his first several yearsat Harvard. He said he will be teaching Chemistry1 in the Extension School this fall, andeventually would like to teach some biochemistrycourses for undergraduates