Making AFSCME's Case

The Patrolmen's Settlement

THERE'S talk of "moral victory" from both sides but no real winner at the end of a 20-month labor dispute that pitted the University against its 41 uniformed patrolmen. An agreement reached shortly before classes began gives the patrolmen 5 percent annual increases in pay and benefits for the next 46 months. But the patrolmen still don't have one weekend off in each four, which was their central demand.

The University has saved some money. But Harvard certainly has not portrayed itself as a compassionate employer at a time when its 4000 clerical and technical workers are in the midst of a massive AFSCME organizing drive.

When negotiations began nearly two years ago, the Harvard University Police Association sought a "four and two" work week for the patrolmen. Under the system patrolmen would have worked longer days and received two days off for each four worked; currently, they have two days off for each five worked.

Because the change would have required the hiring of several additional police, Edward W. Powers, the University's head negotiator, estimated costs would increase by 10 percent--and stood firm against four and two. Consequently those who keep Harvard safe still cannot share weekends with their families.

The patrolmen's call for a four and two work week was a reasonable one. In fact police in Cambridge and at several area colleges have used the schedule for years. In claiming four and two is "impossible" and "too expensive" for this university, Powers gave strong support to the case AFSCME organizers are now working hard to make.