W. Booters Pin Providence, 1-0

Crimson takes fourth straight; Pinezich scores only goal

By Colin F. Boyle

This year, the biggest question facing the Harvard women's soccer team was their ability to score goals. After yesterday's game with Providence, that question remains unanswered.

Although it bombarded Providence goalie Kathy Cronin with 30 shots, the Crimson had to settle for a single goal in their 1-0 victory yesterday at Ohiri Field. The triumph improved the booters' record to 4-0, and dropped the Lady Friars to 1-6.

"We generated a lot of opportunities," Harvard Coach Tim Wheaton said. "I think this was the most scoring opportunities we've had yet this season.

The Crimson dominated the game, easily controlling the ball at midfield and the Providence end. At times the team looked like it was practicing stall tactics, passing the ball back and forth away from the Lady Friars.

"Our transition to the final third of the field was good," Co-Captain and midfielder Karin Pinezich said. "We were good up until 20 yards out and then we couldn't go any further."

Only Score

Despite all the squad's scoring chances, Harvard was only able to tally once. That goal came at the 38th minute of the first half when fullback Cari Lyn Beck passed the ball to Pinezich, who trapped it, turned, and shot a half-volley into the net.

The goal was all the scoring the Crimson would need as a tough Harvard defense--led by sophomore sweeper Andrea Montalbano and freshman fullback Tracy Hackeling--prevented Providence from challenging goalie Tracee Whitley. The shutout was Whitley's fourth of the season.

Despite the failure to convert their many opportunities into goals, the booters were pleased with the team's performance.

"I'm not disappointed with the way we played," Montalbano said. "It was just one of those days when the ball doesn't go in the net."

"We're not the kind of team that is just going to walk on the field and score a lot of goals," Wheaton said. "We're moving in the right direction. Finishing is something we need to work on. But first you have to generate the scoring opportunities, and then you work on finishing."

The squad needs to improve its goal-scoring ability if it is to continue to win. The team is entering the tougher part of its schedule as it begins a three-game road trip Saturday against Vermont in Burlington.

Even though its two-time AllAmerica goalie has yet to give up a goal, the team needs to prove it can score against teams with strong defenses if it hopes to improve in the standings.