Golfers Finish 19th In Tourney

The Harvard men's golf team capped off its fall season by tying for 19th place in the New England Intercollegiate Fall Golf Championship.

The 45-team field completed play in the two-day tournament late Wednesday on the New Seabury Golf Course at New Seabury, Mass., with favored University of Hartford taking the championship.

For the second tournament in a row, the weather was unkind to the Crimson. The tournament was played on two courses, the tougher 'blue' or ocean course (par 72) and the more forgiving 'green' or inland course (par 70).

Harvard was forced to play on the ocean Tuesday, fighting high winds coming off the Cape that gusted up to 40 miles per hour.

The tournament average on the blue course for the first day was an astronomical 94 strokes.

Sophomore Mike Foster led the Crimson with an 89, followed by Captain Terry Murray with a 90.

Freshman Dennis Crowley finished with a 96, sophomore Ross Cockrell with a 97 and junior Dan Murphy, fighting particularly high winds during his turns, hung on with a 106.

As a result, Harvard finished the first day of competition a dismal 38th overall.

Undaunted, Harvard made a tremendous charge on the second day of competition, led by Murray, who shot a 72, and Mike Foster with a 74, to finish the tournament tied for 19th.

The other Crimson linkmen also showed a marked improvement. Murphy finished seven strokes over par with a 77, Ross Cockrell shot an 83 and Dennis Crowley finished with a 90.

Despite the 19th-place finish, Murray had nothing but praise for the team, who turned in a "fine effort" in the tournament despite a disheartening first day.

Murray is satisfied with the performance of the team this fall considering that four starters from last year had been lost to graduation.

"With a little more experience, this team could be a real power in the spring," he said. The linkmen's spring season begins the first week in April.