Frosh Dorms to Complete For New Yard Trophy

Even in a fitness-conscious age, people need incentive to exercise, so the organizers of the freshman intramural program are planning to award the first Yard Trophy to Massachusetts Hall, last year's overall intramural winner.

The trophy, meant to be the freshman equivalent to the houses' highly-coveted Straus Cup, will be awarded to the dorm or dorm intramural group which accumulates the most points per resident, said Keith Light, the freshman intramural coordinator and a proctor in Canaday's D-entry.

"What I'm trying to do with the freshman program is add color and fun," Light said.

Can't Get It Together

According to the notice on the Union's intramural board, six teams have already been disqualified from competition due to "dereliction of duty and alienation of affection." Those teams have forfeited so many times that they will not be scheduled for any more intramural games.

Light said, however, that he was "quite pleased with everyone's level of participation," and that this year's freshmen "are the most enthusiastic in a long time."

But Anastasia M. Fernands '92, intramural organizer for Lionel Hall, said that she had trouble getting people together to field teams for different intramural events.

"I go running around every time there's a game and everyone ignores me and tells me there's too much to do," Fernands said, adding that Lionel teams have had to forfeit two or three games in different sports.

Fernands attributes part of her difficulty in finding-people to play to the fact that Lionel is a fairly small dorm with only about 60 people. "Everyone has their own particular sport. There's not enough people for any one sport," she said.

Jeffrey L. Schnipper '92, intramural organizer for Wigglesworth C and D, found that scheduling problems prevented many people in the entries he represents from participating. "They usually don't tell us when we're playing until a day in advance," Schnipper said. "Once we didn't find out until three hours before a game."

But intramural participant Eric J. Kezirian '92, a member of Weld South's "Weld and Crazy" team, said "usually we have many more people than we need; there's a lot of enthusiasm here. We all have a lot of fun. You get to play sports that you normally wouldn't get to play."

Intramural points are accumulated through participation in athletic events with winners receiving the most points and forfeiters losing points. At the end of the year, Light said, the totals are adjusted according to the number of residents in the dorm. The team with the most points per student wins the Yard Trophy.