Boston University Drops Stickwomen

The Harvard field hockey team received a cold reception on cold turf across the river, dropping a 1-0 decision to a fast, powerful Boston University squad last night.

The lone goal came two minutes and 10 seconds into the game off a penalty corner shot. Tamara Klein, one of B.U.'s best forwards, played the corner to fellow-forward Sue Mercik, who scored the winning goal.

The game was evenly played, with the ball seeing equal time in both ends. Coach Sue Caples' decision to play a 3-forward 3-midfield offense as opposed to a more aggressive 4-2 line proved effective since the Crimson needed more people in the midfield to contain the B.U. attack.

Despite these efforts, Harvard didn't control the midfield tonight--they needed to pass more in order to create opportunities that could bring the ball into their offensive zone.

"We could have played better," Co-Captain and goaltender Denise Katsias said. "We needed that little extra push in order to win. It was a midfield-defensive game for us. We didn't get enough shots and weren't able to create offense by putting the ball towards their cage."

B.U. created more scoring opportunities, outshooting Harvard 13-9, with 9 penalty corners as opposed to the Crimson's 5. Sue Caples described Harvard's opportunities as "fleeting," as opposed to B.U.'s which she claims were "more concrete."

"Statistically we played them evenup, and definitely gave them a run for their money," Caples added.

Katsias had a busy night, stopping eight shots, and making some excellent clears as well as keeping play inside the goal circle organized.

Harvard freshmen displayed their talent again today, as Ceci Clark was able to shut down one of Boston's most threatening players, Sally Maxwell, while Sandra Whyte showed her versatility by starting in the midfield and moving up to the forward line.