Twelve Players Given Free Agency

Baseball Owners Charged With Collusion

NEW YORK--Twelve players, including Jim Clancy and Ernie Whitt of Toronto, Doyle Alexander of the Detroit Tigers, and Rich Gedman of the Boston Red Sox were declared free agents today by arbitrator George Nicolau because of collusion by baseball owners after the 1986 season.

Also given "new look" free agency were Brian Downing and Bob Boone of the California Angels, Ron Guidry, Willie Randolph, Claudell Washington of the New York Yankees and Alan Ashby of the Houston Astros.

Pitchers Ken Dayley of the St. Louis Cardinals and Roy Smith of the Minnesota Twins, who became free agents two winters ago after their clubs failed to offer them contracts, also were given the second chance at free agency.

In addition, infielder Dave Concepcion was given the new look free agency, even though he was released after the Cincinnati Reds on Oct. 6.

The 12 players have until Dec. 16 to accept contracts with new teams or remain with their current clubs. Only two of the players are signed for next season. Downing is to be paid $850,000 by the Angels, and Whitt is to be paid $800,000 by the Blue Jays.

Last Jan. 22, arbitrator Thomas Roberts made seven players from the first collusion case free agents. Kirk Gibson was the only one to switch teams, signing a three-year, $4.5-million contract with the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"I think it's no secret that we thought the order should have been broader," said Donald Fehr, executive director of the Major League Baseball Players Association. "I think this will give us a good indication of what clubs are up to. Everybody's been crying there's no catchers. And everybody's been crying there's no pitchers. Here's a group that has catchers and pitchers."