Friends Remember Senior

Community Gathers for Wilson Service in Dunster

The life of Peter H. Wilson, a senior and a vibrant member of the Harvard community who died two weeks ago, was celebrated in an hour-long memorial service Saturday in the Dunster House Library.

Assistant Dean of the House System Thomas A. Dingman '67 called the service, which brought together about 100 friends, faculty members and parents, "a very moving occasion, giving us all a wonderful opportunity to celebrate his life."

Dingman was one of the 10 speakers assembled to speak briefly about Wilson, a blind member of the class of '88 who died on September 15, 1988 at age 21, after fighting a life-long battle against cancer.

Wilson was remembered by those at the service as talented musically and intellectually. He was said to possess a braveness that allowed him to run on the cross-country team, navigate the streets of Cambridge on his own, and even to ride a bicycle despite his blindness, which was caused by cancer at age 4.

Dingman spoke to remember Wilson, as well as to announce the creation of the Peter H. Wilson Memorial Scholarship Fund, which will be raised through contributions for three main purposes. A cash prize will be given each year to an undergraduate with a disability who exhibits Wilson's qualities of courage, brilliance, and kindness and has made a contribution to the life of the College. The recipient will then be granted a "wish list" of equipment he or she feels will aid disabled students here at Harvard.

Secondly, a fellowship in Wilson's name will go annually to a disabled senior proposing to go on to graduate school, aiding the recipient with equipment and living costs. In addition, the fund will provide general monies for disabled students at Harvard. Dingman's office will allocate these funds.

The other speakers at the memorial service included Dunster House Co-Master Cresap Moore, Dunster House Senior Tutor Jeffrey Wolcowitz, Professor Steven Kosslyn as well as Arthur Rotch '88, Steven Snyder '88, and J. Kent Smith '88.

Music played an integral role in the service, just as it did in Wilson's life. He was an accomplished musician who particularly enjoyed jazz fusion.

Introductory piano music was performed by Gary L. Negbaur '89, a friend of Wilson's who often played jazz with him. Two of Wilson's own music tapes were also played. The first was music Wilson had recorded before coming to Harvard. The second was a tape he made last spring for his friends' graduation.