Host Aquamen Grab Eastern Tourney

Forman and Bentley Lead Crimson Attack

By Michael Stankiewicz

The Harvard men's water polo team could give a few pointers to United States Secretary of Defense Frank Carlucci.

The Crimson, behind a strong, pressure defense and excellent goaltending from Greg Beber, John Grecco and Scott Frewing, crushed Boston College, Princeton and Richmond to win the Harvard Eastern League Tournament at Blodgett Pool this weekend.

Richmond finished second in the tournament, Princeton third, Yale fourth, Boston College fifth and Fordham finished last.

"We've been working on pressure defense, cutting off the passing lanes and pressing out," freshman Todd Forman said. "We're just trying to make steals--force the offense to make mistakes."

The Crimson was especially strong defending against power-play situations, allowing only one goal in 11 short-handed opportunities through out the tournament.

Harvard (5-2) clinched the title with a convincing 18-7 victory over the Richmond Spiders on Sunday.

The Crimson power play was almost flawless, converting seven of its eight man-advantage opportunities. Forman and junior Co-Captain Eric Bentley sparked the team with three goals each and five other players added two goals a piece.

Beber kept the Spiders in check, allowing only four of the 10 shots fired at him to slip by him.

"Chris [Harvard Coach Hafferty] told us that Richmond was going to be up for the game just because they had taken such a long bus ride to play in this tournament," Forman said. "We really concentrated--it was by far our best game of this year."

Freshman Peter Richards started the onslaught with a flick goal from 15 meters out just one minute into the game. Mike Johnson and John Marshall tallied power-play goals to stake the Crimson to a 3-1 lead at the end of one quarter.

The Crimson outscored the Spiders, 12-3, in the second and third periods to take control of the game, 15-4. Frewing, a junior, played the final quarter in goal for the Crimson.

Harvard advanced to Sunday's championship game by sweeping the Boston College Eagles and the Princeton Tigers on Saturday.

Frewing recorded six saves in the first half against B.C., holding the Eagles to just one goal and staking Harvard to an 8-1 halftime lead. Grecco took over secretary of defense duties for the Crimson in the second half, as the Crimson cruised to the 16-6 win.

Hole-setter Andy Freed and Richards tallied three goals for Harvard, while Mike Johnson and John Griffin each added two goals.

The Crimson's most impressive defensive effort in the tournament was its 10-4 victory over Princeton.

Beber shut out the Tigers in the first half, leading the Crimson to a 3-0 halftime lead. Harvard's senior goalie finished the game with seven saves and the Crimson defense denied all five Princeton power plays.

Key

"We keyed on their main shooters on the power play," freshman Todd Forman said. "The others weren't as good, fortunately, and they missed a lot."

Offensively, Bentley and Richards again sparked Harvard with three goals each. Forman also added one goal and two assists.

NOTEBOOK: Richards has now scored 17 times in his first seven varsity games...He scored nine goals in one day against M.I.T. one week ago. Playing for the Harvard "B" squad, Richards scored four goals and then returned in the night varsity game to add five more goals.