Field Hockey Knots Brown, In OT, 1-1

By Caroline Miller

What the Harvard field hockey team needed was a finish to match the start.

Although the Crimson dominated Brown in the the first half Saturday at Soldiers Field, all Harvard (5-8-1 overall, 1-3-1 Ivy) left the field with after two 10-minute overtimes was a 1-1 tie with the Bruins.

The Crimson offense kept the Bruins on the defensive. Harvard took 18 shots on goal and had 12 penalty corners in the first half. Meanwhile, Harvard Co-Captain and goaltender Denise Katsias had to make just two saves, as Brown created very few scoring opportunities.

Brown goaltender Sarah Lamont was a huge obstacle for Harvard. She came up with many key saves which kept the game scoreless in the first half.

Led by junior Char Joslin, the Crimson was able to move the ball well even though the Bruins stacked their defense near the goal.

Harvard's lone goal was scored three minutes into the second half off a penalty corner put into play by freshman Becky Gaffney. Gaffney hit the ball out to fellow frosh Ceci Clark, who stopped it dead for Erin O'Brien. O'Brien took a high-lifting shot, scoring in the lower right-hand corner of the cage.

Less than 10 minutes later, the Bruins struck back with the game-tying goal, also off a penalty corner. It was the second of only two penalty corners for Brown in the game.

The first of the two overtime periods was uneventful. The Bruins played well, while the stickwomen weren't quite on their game.

Harvard had more chances in the second overtime period. But the Crimson was unable to capitalize on its opportunities and settled for a deadlock.

"The team was basically executing well," Coach Sue Caples said. "A team creates its own luck."

Junior Lynn Frangione came up with some key interceptions and Co-Captain Katie McAnaney played a strong game.

The Crimson, which is in fourth place in the Ivy League, closes out its season when it hosts Yale Wednesday.