Women Spikers Tomahawk Host Chiefs

After losing its first four games of the season, the Harvard women's volleyball team (1-4 overall, 0-0 Ivy) got on the right track Tuesday night with a convincing four-set win on the road against a tough team from the University of Lowell.

The Crimson started off the night with a 15-8 win in the first game, but got itself in a 12-2 hole in the second. Harvard rallied, but eventually lost the set, 15-13. In the third set, the Crimson bounced back with a decisive 15-6 victory. But keeping to its pattern, Harvard spotted the Chiefs a 7-0 lead in the fourth set before securing a 15-12 triumph.

"We played well tonight," Co-Captain Maia Forman said. "The passing was much better today. Before, the passing was awful and we had no serve receive."

Forman credited the team's victory to several factors, one of which was the freshmen, especially Danni Cunningham, Christine Smith, and Maria Roderiguez.

"They really contributed and came together tonight," Manda Schossberger said. "The freshman played very well. Danni played great defense."

After struggling in the beginning of the season, Harvard finally showed signs of last year, when it finished third in the Ivy League.

"We started to play together," Coach Wayne Lem said. "We were much more cohesive and disciplined tonight."

The main cause of Harvard's poor start is inexperience. After losing the first four games of the season, Harvard has had to rethink its line-up, relying on the strength of six freshmen.

Also, a thumb injury to Schossberger and a forearm injury to junior Yvonne Karanas--combined with a four-game sickness to Forman--didn't help.

The team's next match is against Tufts tonight at 6 p.m. at the Malkin Athletic Center. Harvard opens its Ivy season October 14.

Stickwomen Falter, 2-1

Last night, the Harvard field hockey team ventured out into the cold of Western Massachusetts to play an offensively-charged Spring-field team, and lost, 2-1.

With two minutes left and the score tied at one, Springfield forward Jen Carey drove home a corner shot, providing the margin for victory.

The Crimson (3-4 overall, 0-1 Ivy) came out strong, led by junior Char Joslin, who scored the lone Crimson goal nine minutes into the first half off a corner.

Twenty minutes into the second half, Springfield struck back, with a penalty stroke goal scored by Suzy Charbonneau.

Harvard Co-Captain and goaltender Denise Katsias put in a stellar performance, stopping 17 Springfield shots, including 10 penalty corners.

The Springfield attack dominated, keeping the ball in its offensive end. The Crimson defense, led by sweeper Lynn Frangione and fellow defensewoman Erin O'Brien, had to be sharp to contain an ever-threatening Springfield squad.